1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I want to make a wired and wireless LAN

I have a bit of a special network I want to set up.

In room 1:

FTTP Fiber Optic internet connection
    One desktop

In Room 2:
    6 desktops

My plan is this:
    Hook up the internet connection to a wireless router and hook up the one computer in room 1 by wire to the router

In room 2, have converter?, bridge? (this is the part I'm not sure of) (anyway, some kind of device that receives the wireless signal and has an ethernet cord coming out of it. Take that cord and put it into a Hub? Router? (also not sure what I need here) and then hookup the six computers.

Can you professionals tell me what equipment I need to do this?

Many thanks,

Dave
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Fiber optic internet connection???

I don't know how you are going to achieve this. Problem is you can buy wireless routers but the wan port is dsl/cable/ some isdn but not fiber. I have never read or seen a single fiber interface for a router.

Barring that BIG hurdle, you would install your wireless router where the 1 pc is. Patch cable to that pc. Run a crossover cable to the next room and install a 8 port 100mb switch. Patch cable the 6 pcs.

Wireless range extenders and wireless access points don't have switch ports to plug into. So unless you were going to wireless cards in the 6 pcs there would be no point in such devices.
  5. No Profile Picture

ok, sorry, I neglected to say that I live in Japan and FTTP connections are quite common here, about what people pay for cable or DSL back in the States. (yes, it is badass fast;-)) It connects to the ISP box and comes out just like other ethernet connection cables, so that is no prob.

Is there a difference between a switch port and a port that would go directly to a computer?

I found this thing (wireless access point?) at my local computer store, and it has a port, but Im not sure if it can be connected to a switching hub or not

http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/downlo...?name=WLA-G54C

I know that the japanese on this page wont display correctly on most of your computers, but if you click where is says JPEG, you can look at the port more closely.

I want to have this in the second room and connect this to a switch and the 6 PCs to the switch. Possible???

Thanks
  7. No Profile Picture

here is some more info about that product in English

http://www.buffalotech.com/wireless/...n/WRBG54K.html

It seems to be called a repeater bridge in English. That can be hooked up to a switching hub, right? I'm not sure...
  9. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I don't think this will do what you want it to. The Buffalo product consists of two parts - the wireless router and the wireless repeater. You plug the wireless router into your Internet connection. You then plug the wireless repeater into it using a wired ethernet cable. In this setup, all clients connect via wireless - the repeater part only extends the range of the original wireless router. It doesn't allow you to plug clients in with wired connections.

It would be a lot simpler (and cheaper) just to use wired connections all the way. Since are going to end up connecting all the clients with wires in the end, you clearly don't want to be able to easily move laptops around, for example. Buy a standard router for the first room, where you connect the Internet connection and your first computer. Into it plug a single network cable which goes to the second room. In the second room this cable plugs into a switch, where you can plug in the other clients. This would also be faster than a wireless connection (if you plan on sharing files as well as using the Internet)
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Gee isn't that what I said :-) But I would suggest a wireless router since they are cheap [at least in the US] and you have the option down the road to add wireless laptop access.
  13. Retired Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yeah kind of - I was just adding that the product he has chosen is not really suitable for what he said he wanted to do in the first post

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo