Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wireless Broadband Problems XP

I've just bought a laptop.I've got a desktop computer hooked up to ntlworld broadband with 600k through wire.

Now i wish to access the internet wireless through my laptop around the house, but with the desktop computer still hard-wired.

To try and do this i bought 2 things.One sitecom wireless network 2.4GHz Broadband Home station 802.11b for the desktop and a wireless network pc card 11m 2.4ghz 802.11b for the laptop.

I've gone through all the instructions on both booklets and still i carnt get the internet working on either computer.The desktop has an ethernet card.Even though the desktop is still hard wired to the ntlworld set top box through the home station it still will not acess the internet.

Is there somthing i've missed?

Its all very confusing to me.

hope someone can help

Thanks

Matt
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You probably need to enable NAT routing on the desktop to allow internet connection sharing.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi, thanks for your reply

How do i enable this?

Plus, the operating systems are different.Windows xp on the laptop and windows 98 on the desktop.

I've just tried getting the broadband through the home station again but disabled norton firewall.Still, i carnt get internet access
    Last edited by matty17; October 31st, 2003 at 10:31 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Is there anyone here that can give me an answer? or atleast point me in the right direction.

Matt
  9. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Look for Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop windows.

Oops, ICS isn't in W98, but it is included in W98 Second Edition.

Search MS for some kb articles on how to enable and set up ICS on W98.

Usually it's much easier to get an external broadband router. The low end ones are about $50 US.
  11. No Profile Picture

Hi

What i have is an external router that sits beside the computer.I will look for ics
  13. No Profile Picture

i canrt find ics on windows 2nd edition.Even if it was that causing the problem, my laptop would work
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The easiest and cheapest thing to do would be to buy a wireless NIC (network card) for your desktop.

If you really want both, you will have to shuck out more cash and buy a broadband router (like doug said) that has an uplink port for your wireless access point . If you go this route, make sure the router has a print server built-in (nice - no more sharing your printer through Windows).

post back your results ok?
  17. No Profile Picture

Hi, the router i have is a broadband router and yes it does have a printer port unlike the belklins, which i've heard that alot of people are having problems with.

Why should i splash out more cash to make the desktop wireless when the cable is right there? The router can connect to upto 4 computer via cable and is wireless.

So if your saying the wireless will work, how come my wireless network card in the laptop does not work? I dont think it will make a difference making the pc wireless.It should be working.

There somthing i've not worked out yet, But know matter how hard i try, the computers can not connect to the internet.

I've been on this for like 10 hours now trying and even memorised this address for access to the router setting http://192.123.265.855

I've done it that many times!

19. echo $usertitle['computer'];

okay I did this for a friend...

let me explain (I will type a long reply in my next post)
  21. No Profile Picture

I'm all ears mate
  23. echo $usertitle['computer'];

okay, here goes...

this assumes there is a WAN port on your router...

1. plug ntl cable from settop box to WAN port (the RJ-45 network cable... the WAN port should be written on the back of the router).

2. log into the router via the web browser. setup the DHCP, and your internet connection how it would be (pretty much self explaintary).

3. setup wireless channels, and setup encryption (128 reccomended) and possible mac address filtering also good

4. plug desktop into a port on the router. specify in the network card settings to use the routers IP as the gateway and dns server and to get IP using DHCP automatically.

5. setup wireless card on laptop to connect to your router (using router IP) for gateway and DNS and IP from DHCP again. also setup encryption with the same key you used on the router.

6. setup the internet explorers to only dial a connection when network is not present (under connections tab in options).

that should be a rough and ready way to set it up -- and it worked for me on XP, 95, 98 and ME so it should be pretty much the same for you.

hope that helps,
    computer

(tired of typing )
  25. echo $usertitle['computer'];

and we can discuss on ICQ if you want to talk further (not today though -- about to go sleep )

(ICQ in profile)
  27. No Profile Picture

Ok mate thanks

Another problem is that i carnt access the router via the web browser
  29. echo $usertitle['computer'];

hmmm..

do you have the same subnets?

try repowering the router and going straight to the web cp and see if you can change the IP to 192.168.0.100 (which assumes you set all the computers to connect between 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.99)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo