1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

wireless network bridge...

Hi folks,

I've been toying with wireless networking all week experiencing both frustration and success. Here's my newest problem to solve:

Now that I have wifi set up pretty well for myself, my parents would like me to set it up for them at their house. Their neighbor has a wlan set up and offered to give them free connectivity if they can get his signal. They can sometimes get his signal, but only in one room of their house by the window. They want to extend the signal to the other end of their house, through several rooms.

I don't think a directional antenna would be enough to solve their issue since the signal has to travel through about 4 thick walls. So I've been thinking about building a wireless bridge for them. I want to do it as cheaply as possible.

They have an old pentium 200mhz in the basement, and I thought about putting debian on it and setting up the same cheapo brand-x taiwanese pci 802.11b cards that I've been using as a bridge.

Can I set it up so there are 2 cards in the same box -- on eth0 and eth1 -- one to receive the neighbor's signal, and connect via dhcp, and the other to broadcast the signal as an ad hoc connection across their house?

Or should I try to get a wet11 or wap11 or just a buffalo wds router?

thanks for any advice!
    -Greg- in Astoria *Queens, NY*
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Make sure Your added wireless uses different frequency band, to prevent loss of bandwidth / throughput.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo