1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wireless Repeaters?

Hey guys,

I have an L shape apartment. My router is at the "foot" of the "L" with a fuse box store cupboard in the path of the wifi signal to my bedroom on the other side of the apartment where I need wifi.

I have tried upgrading to a Netgear wirless N router with 2 antennas. A friend also gave me homeplugs (tried to configure but not sure if were broken..). I have also tried using homemade silver foil dishes sat on the antennas to project the signal.
    All 3 efforts have failed

I am looking at my 4th option short of getting the ADSL port moved so the router is in a more central location.
    What are your recommendations on Wireless repeaters? Do you think it would solve my problem?

What is the difference between the following two models other than price?:

17: TP-LINK TL-WA730RE 150Mbps Wireless N Range Extender Repeater - External

40: NETGEAR WN2000RPT Universal WiFi Range Extender

Josh
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Why don't you just move the router to the elbow of the L? Your modem and router do NOT need to be right next to each other. Just get a long ethernet cable and connect the two with the new location.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    Why don't you just move the router to the elbow of the L? Your modem and router do NOT need to be right next to each other. Just get a long ethernet cable and connect the two with the new location.

Hi Adam, this is not possible as the apartment is quite big & the cable would have to be routed in the walls. Hence, we need a wireless repeater..

Could you help with regards to this question?

Many thank,
    Josh
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Purchase an Apple airport Extreme and another Airport Express base station to act as a repeater. They're very easy to setup and will probably solve your problem. If the issue is a specific object/appliance in your apartment causing a "dead zone", you will probably have to either run a Cat5 cable or use powerline kits to bridge the two areas.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    Purchase an Apple airport Extreme and another Airport Express base station to act as a repeater. They're very easy to setup and will probably solve your problem. If the issue is a specific object/appliance in your apartment causing a "dead zone", you will probably have to either run a Cat5 cable or use powerline kits to bridge the two areas.

Hi seack,

This is not a particularly cost effective way of solving the problem unfortunately.. Have you any other recommendations regarding the kind of repeaters in the links I posted?
  11. No Profile Picture

Your problem is a bit more difficult to solve then you realize, but here's how I would solve it:

The standard way to repeat a wifi signal is though WDS (google it), however there are some disadvantages to using WDS. Each time the signal gets repeated from an Access Point, the maximum bandwidth gets cut in half. So as an example, if your router can broadcast at 54Mbps, the next WDS link will only be able to broadcast at 27Mbps and then the next link would only be able to broadcast at 13.5Mbps, etc.. It probably won't be a real issue since you most likely only need one WDS bridge.

Another disadvantage is that most forms of WDS (can vary between manufacturers) cannot handle wireless encryption, so your network will need to be open (except I know that Apple's version of WDS can handle encryption). Not a big deal in my opinion since you can always use MAC authentication.

The biggest thing you need to look for the is the manufacturer of the router's wireless card (Atheros, Realtek, Broadcom, etc) when setting up a WDS link. Since WDS is not officially an IEEE standard, you need to make sure that the wireless cards are at least from the same manufacturer to be sure they will all talk to each other properly.

DD-WRT has a great WDS interface for consumer routers. If I were you, I would flash your Netgear with DD-WRT and then buy another cheap Netgear wireless router (with same brand wireless card) and flash it with DD-WRT as well. After that, it should be a breeze to set up a WDS link.

Hope this helps!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo