1. life is joy, don't waste it !
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Wireless switch ?

The situation is this:

I have a wireless router.
    I have 10 computers away from that router.
    Those computers don't have wireless network cards.

Tipical solution:
    Add a switch near the computers.
    Cable the switch to the router.
    Cable the computers to the switch.

Desired solution:
    Add a wireless switch near the computers.
    Connect the switch wirelessly to the router.
    Cable the computers to the switch.

Is there any network device (switch) that can do that ?
    As fat as I know, access points need to be wired to the router.

Any idea ?
    Thanks.
    Let us rm -rf our weaknesses.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What you're looking for is called a network bridge. I'm sure that some wireless routers can be configured in bridge mode, but since I've never even contemplated doing it before I don't have any recommendations.

A few seconds of googling indicated that you might be able to use something like the NETGEAR WGPS606 or a similar device.
    Last edited by E-Oreo; August 17th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator

I have one of these http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=292 which will do exactly what you want. This is kind of an old unit, I got mine maybe 3 years ago, there are probably newer wireless access point devices.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The one caution I will give is that you will likely need to have two IDENTICAL devices. A few years ago they would sell a wireless bridge as exactly that. However, those that make those sorts of devices decided it would earn them more money if they FORCED you to buy another one of their products instead of a small stand-alone product, possibly made by someone else. So from my experience if you have a d-link now, get another one and make sure the model numbers are the same *AND* that that model can do the bridge.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator

My dlink WAP worked just fine with a linksys wireless router, except the 108mb speed is kind of a dlink-specific enhancement.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  11. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Yes, the older ones will, but anything newer has started having this restriction. Ran into it with a pair of linksys less than a year ago.
    Adam TT
  13. life is joy, don't waste it !

Do I have to set the router in bridge mode ?

As far as I know when you set the router in bridge mode, only the modem works, and the router functionality becomes disabled. So how the wireless signal will be sent to the network bridge device ?

I'm looking for a device which does not have to change the router settings, just get the wireless signal as if it were a laptop, or any other wi-fi device.
  15. life is joy, don't waste it !

Doug G, your D-link suggestion looks like a traditional access point. You have to get the network signal from the router using a ethernet cable.

I want to get the network signal wirelessly, as a client, using a WAP/WAP2 key.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

Do I have to set the router in bridge mode ?
    Only if you're using the router as a network bridge and not as a router. If you're using a router that can function in both bridge and normal modes then your primary router will be in normal mode and your other router(s) will be in bridge mode.

As far as I know when you set the router in bridge mode, only the modem works, and the router functionality becomes disabled.
    Most routers don't even have modems. If you put the router in bridge mode it no longer functions as a gateway which is kind of the entire point of what you're trying to do.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  19. life is joy, don't waste it !

Ok.

definitively I need an ethernet bridge.

I found this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-WET11-Wireless-Ethernet-Bridge/dp/B000066JQU

Seems that it could work for my case.
    Last edited by mysticav; August 30th, 2010 at 05:50 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator

Originally Posted by mysticav
    Doug G, your D-link suggestion looks like a traditional access point. You have to get the network signal from the router using a ethernet cable.

I want to get the network signal wirelessly, as a client, using a WAP/WAP2 key.
    fyi, the dlink wap does connect to the remote wireless router via wifi, as a wireless client, and provides a wired segment for other devices at it's location.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo