1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

new XP workstation not logging into Win2000

I'm assisting a friend who has recently purchased a small company. The company has Win2000 set up as a server (mostly for storage & backup ability). The problem is arising trying to add a new computer to the system (to replace an old one). The new workstation is a laptop running XP pro.

What I have done:
    Went into the Admin tools on the server.. made a user account (Paul) and a computer account (PJ). The only differences on these accounts vs. accounts that work is in the computer account - it doesn't have the paul.domainname or the OS information (which I believe, upon successful login that it will). Otherwise, all looks well on the server side.

On the workstation, I have gone in to the LAN properties, and tried to setup the network. I tried changing the information, also tried using the wizard (which I have since seen in my searches that that may not have been a good thing to do ).

This is the error I am receiving:
    Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINNT\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The domain name ecoelectric might be a NetBIOS domain name. If this is the case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS configuration.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain domainname:

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domainname

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

server.domainname

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

This is an internal domain only (i.e.: no .com or .net, etc). I've checked the network settings, and everything (including TCP/IP properties) match another XP that is having no problems. The only other bit of information is.. the XP that is having no problems has a IP set at 1.1.1.37, the old machine where the new workstation is had the IP of 1.1.1.25 - which I have used for the new workstation.

Any assistance to this newbie over her head?
    tia,
    Laurey
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

nevermind

figured it out.. the workstation was trying to log in as Admin.. created a new user (w/the login name) and it went (fairly) easily from there.

thanks to those that looked..

-L

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo