1. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Rep Power

    routers and switches


    This may seem a simple question, but what kind of cable connection would you use between a router and a switch?

    I'm particularly looking at 3Com equipment - But can't seem to see a router with a Gigabit Ethernet connection, or for that matter anything that will plug into a switch!

    Need speeds over 100mbps.

    Also, are layer 3 switches a viable alternative to the router/switch combo?

    Thanks in advance,

  2. #2
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Rep Power
    crossover cable to connect between router and switch.

    Gigabit router lan connection? Think about it. If you have a full T1 point to point you have 1.54mbps. A 10mbps nic has more bandwidth then your wan link. This is why you will not find a gigabit lan interface in a router. It would be a waste.

    Every router I have worked with comes with a 10mb [older] or 10/100 ethernet port. It's all you need.

    Layer three switches are great if you need that kind of backbone and you understand downtime/replacement costs/maintenace plan costs/configuration costs and single point of failure. Having a spare router you can drop in place is more cost effective.

    I would not recommend 3com for anything. Nortel makes the best layer3 switch. Cisco is only good for routers.
    Rest of their stuff will nickel and dime you to death and is below par on features/xfer rates. HP makes great switches.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo