1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Adding router to Dsl connection

I have 2 computers, one windows xp and the other windows 98. I recently bought a linksys network everywhere cable/dsl 4-port router and tried installing it. Their tech support won't answer. Nice right? Anyway I am trying to install it on the windows xp computer first, the router came with a cd to help install the router... During the setup I get a message saying to disconnect the PPPoe connection to my isp before connecting the router, which I did. Then I set up my tcp/ip settings on LAN connection, obtain an ip address automatically. Then when going to the next step I get an error saying it, the cd, can't find the router. I have no idea what is wrong. I tried this around 20 times, I tried different ports on the router, and resetting the router. I should also mention that the router shows that it is connected to the computer with 2 green led lights above the port number. So it seems that my computer won't connect to the router. Any ideas???
  3. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Linksys has pretty good support info on their website. I have a number of Linksys befsr41 routers and they require nothing to be installed on any pc's.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Find out what IP range your router is setup with by default (probably 192.168.x.x) and set your PC to that same range. Then try to connect. It may not have DHCP on by default.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo