1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Networking Dummie needs help

I am trying to install a wired network in my home between a e-machine desktop and a Toshiba laptop. Both computers have XP-Home Edition. I tried to do it with what I was given and told it would work which is a Netgear RP614 router and a Netgear FA311 PCI card (for the desktop), also a few ethernet cables (cat 5) I have a wired networking card in my laptop that came in it. I can get the router to say everything is running correctly but if I try to access the internet (I have Cable) I can't, I tried to share the connection and it give me a message about same IP address. All I want is to be able to share a few files and be on the internet with both computers, I thought this would be simple but I guess I just its not. Any advice on what to do even if it is a whole new Idea all together would be appriciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Whisper2me11178, start here, read the 1st page and learn how to post a question. Using Networking Dummie needs help as your subject title is absolutely next to useless. So next time you start a new topic, don't do such stupid thing again.
    I tried to share the connection and it give me a message about same IP address
    Which IP? What IP do you have for your router, notebook and emachine?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo