1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy Help! Adding ADSL to a LAN

Hi people got a problem and need your expertise.

My office uses 6 computers currently connected via LAN with no internet connection.

I've just bought an ADSL (ROUTER) which is supposed to enable up to 10 users to share the one connection.

The current LAN is connected using a 8Port/Switch HUB.
    So...its a star topology; a individual Ethernet wire to and from each computer to the HUB.

The ROUTER i've got is a new one. There's 2 parts to it..the internet bit (router) and 4 switches.

How do I Set the stuff up?

This is what i've done so far:

Taken out one Ethernet cable from the most powerfull PC on the network and connected it to the Uplink (switch1) on the Router. I've then used taken the supplied etehernet cable and put one end in switch2 of the router and the other end in the PC.

Is this right? I can't see my current workgroup anymore with the addition of the router and on the other computers I can't get an IP without repairing it..even thne its an automatic one.

Other info: using XP on the powerful PC, Win98 on the other 5, its a ADSL router.

Any help?

cheers!
    Attached Images
  3. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

you really need to uplink the router to the hub.. and your sketch has inspired me so much that I'm gonna go and do one to show you how my home network is set up.. back in a while

christo
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com
  5. Introspective
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

yer tiz

hope this makes some sense to you.. waddayarekkon?

christo
    Attached Images
    This is me: http://chris.uk.com
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You should have been able to correctly connect the router via the documentation that came with the router.

Normally you would need a crossover cable to connect the hub to the router but with a uplink port pressed in the hub should switch to crossover internally.

The next most important parts are configuring the wan port with the isps ip information and setting up the router to do dhcp on the lan side. You will need to set the ip properties in each pc to do dhcp.

Nothing will change with your star topology. The router is just another node off the star. Doesn't matter what your most powerful pc is. All pcs will have a direct connect thru the router to the internet.

I highly suggest you block all unneeded ports in the router. Otherwise you can get the msblaster and variants just by being connected to the internet like you are.

Wouldn't hurt to put ZoneAlarm on the pc's. Hackers have already gone thru first and 2nd level NAT [which is what your router does -1st level nat]. Extra protection is a great thing.

Best of luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo