1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

network drive transaction log file

we are running novell and most of our clients are win 98. somebody deleted files and folder on some of our network drive. we want to have a transaction log file for all who access network drive. is that possible? how can we make log file? thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Yes this is possible you can look that which person is deleting the file and who is logged on when the file was deleted . But this is only possible if you are using Window 2000 server . if you will install the windows 200 server then you can make a Log file and see who is deleting the files and when ?
    I think that this will solve your problem
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Funny solution rizwan012. Downgrading to W2K.

You want to enable auditing in Netware. You don't mention what version of Netware. I will assume 4 or above. You use nwadmin to enable auditing. In the Public folder is a utility called auditcon. You use this to view the audit.

But you can do this far easier then auditing. Netware has builtin undelete called Salvage. Use Salvage to restore the deleted files AND see who deleted them.

Just as a suggestion: review your users rights. Perhaps some restrictions are in order. I highly recommend you set the properties of the directories to rename and delete inhibit. This will prevent them from being deleted and will generate a error to the deletor which will hopefully give them a heads up to contact you so you can salvage.

Be aware if you don't see the folders/files in salvage its due to them being MOVED not deleted.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo