1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

using spare computer for router/fileserver?

i have a spare pentium 2 just lieing around and was wondering if i could use it as a router. i see this program called sygate home network. would this work? or would i use something else. i also would want to set up so u have to log in everytime. and the file server would be like an ftp server that would be used for sharing files on the internet as well as the network. i would plan on using either windows 98 or see if the pentium 2 supports xp home. ( i whish i had the money for pro) .
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

since money is an issue...... go with linux. win98 is NOT stable enough to be a server. xp home, ha! linux will run fine on your PII. good luck.
  5. No Profile Picture

alright.. ill try linux but which one should i go with? i already have red hat downloaded. i used to use it some times but.. i rarely used it so i uninstalled it. i have red hat 8 and 9. if there not the best for what i wanna do im willing to try other ones and will deffinatly need help setting it up cuz i suck at linux. oh yeah is samba the linux program u would use?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo