1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Multiple Connections

I am using widnows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition. I am using it as a firewall and for NAT. I have it setup with 2 NIC's. One on a staic external IP and the other on an internal private IP. I want to add another NIC and use another static external IP on a different network.

ISP1 ---
    \
    \
    \
    /-------------------->2003 Server------->Internal LAN
    /
    /
    ISP2---

I want to be able to send and recieve data to and from the internal network letting windows pick the best ISP to use at the time. Is this possible and if so how do I accomplish it. Any information or websites would be helpful. Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I see your setup, but if redundancy is what you are looking for would you not accomplish this by setting up another computer and let the router determine the best path?
    But back to your original question. You are going to have to programmatically do a tracert of each request on both nics and pass that information back to the calling host. That is assuming that one host is not riding the others host's pipes. Otherwise if papa goes down so does the other.
    El éxito consiste en una serie de pequeñas victorias día a día

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

My problem is I have one machine (Windows 2003 Server) and two ISP's. I am looking more for performance then redundancy, but redundancy could be a factor. I just need to know if I can have 3 NIC's in my machine, and will windows let me program it to pick the ISP based on performance. Any help would be appreciated.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can run the multi nic setup but you will still need to programatically determine the best route

MySQL, MS SQL, MS ACCESS, Oracle Database Manager - http://victorpendleton.net/products/psdviewer.html
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Do you know of a good website that explains from start to finish how to do this?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

No. I do not. I have some resources, some very good SA's at my disposal that I will pass the inquiry on to. If anything turns up I will post back.
    Good luck and be sure to post an answer if you find one.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo