1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Exclamation Internet Connection Sharing on XP and 98

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone here would be able to help me. I have two computers which belong on a small network (a very small network they are linked by a crossover cable!). One is running Windows XP and the other Windows 98 SE. The network is fine, and they are happily talking to each other using the NetBEUI protocol.

However, I would like these two computers to share an Internet connection. I tried to set up the XP computer as an ICS host, however the option for the computer to share its Internet connection was not available. To fix this, I installed the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) on the LAN connection, as well as the NetBEUI protocol.

Now, whenever I connect to the Internet on the XP computer, it simply hangs and must be restarted. I cannot even access Task Manager! I tried to use the LAN without the NetBEUI protocol, and just TCP/IP protocol, Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, but the computers could not see or talk to one another.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Anything would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thankyou!
    --Sean
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So how do you connect to the Internet?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo