1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question View Workgroup Computers

I have two networks connected by router. 10.159.232.0 and 10.159.234.0 I can ping the nodes on the opposite side of the router from each side, 10.159.232.1 can ping anything on the 10.159.234.0 network and vice versa. What I need is to be able to see the workgroups on one network from the other network, like when you go to network places then click on "view workgroup computers". I have XP Pro on all the pc's I need to do this on. The goal is to share documents across the two networks. Whadda ya think?
  3. No Profile Picture

10.159.232.0 and 10.159.234.0 are the networks, full class C. Gateways are .254 and .254. There are 75 pc's on the .232 side and 38 on the .234 side. All pc's of question run XP Pro. VPN is not an option as we are already Frame between the routers at each location. Cisco 1700 routers at each location. First of all, I didn't think this was possible at all, until, last monday I connected a brand new pc to the local network, .232, and double clicked "My network places" then on "view workgroup computers". What I saw was not what I expected...I saw icons of the pc's on the .234 network. I closed and went back into view workgroup computers and then saw the pc's on the local .232 network only and was never able to get this pc to see the .234 pc icons again. I thought it was a fluke deal until last thursday when connecting another brand new pc to the local .232 network it happened again! This time when I saw icons of the .234 network I double clicked on one and went to the shared folder and was able to view the documents shared at that location. As soon as I closed I was never able to see the .234 network again. Both networks have workgroup names of DEDI. It would certainly make my job easier to be able to see both network pc icons on my pc at each location.
  5. No Profile Picture

Well, I have a workaround for the issue that works. As long as I know the ip address of a remote pc on my 2 networks I can use the browser to access the shared folders. I type in the address bar of the browser (example): \\10.159.232.90 and I can see the shared files. Accomplishes the goal in a roundabout way!
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by cmwood
    I have two networks connected by router. 10.159.232.0 and 10.159.234.0 I can ping the nodes on the opposite side of the router from each side, 10.159.232.1 can ping anything on the 10.159.234.0 network and vice versa. What I need is to be able to see the workgroups on one network from the other network, like when you go to network places then click on "view workgroup computers". I have XP Pro on all the pc's I need to do this on. The goal is to share documents across the two networks. Whadda ya think?

see the gateway of .232 should be the IP address of .234, and
    the IP address .234 should be the gateway of .232 try this and
    tell me.
    Still if dont work then try connecting a lan (local area network).
  9. No Profile Picture

Great thought! Didn't work. Would be pretty difficult having a LAN 50 miles wide. I'm beginning to think it's not possible to see the icons, however, my workaround is acceptable to me. Plus, I just installed "Virtual Network Computer" on almost all the pc's, local and remote. Works like pc anywhere but it's free for a donation. Even kinda works in stealth mode as it defaults to not asking permission to view. I get to see who's going places on the net where they're not supposed to go! I can shut off their company time games and they don't even know it's me doing it. Thanks for all the help!

Chris
  11. No Profile Picture

i cant see any workgroup xp pc-s under "my network places" either...

this seems a tricky problem and no answers on the net...
    any idea how to fix it?
    i've also got somekind of WINS server ip under ipconfig ?:|
    simple file sharing is off and i can ping the hostnames... \\pcname also works, but cant view all pc-s under the nw.places..
    netbios is set as "default" (somekind of long text).

i'm trying to create a bat script to remotely shut down pc-s, but i cant add any new locations to the 'select users and groups' snap-in..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo