1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Issue with long directory listings & bigger files

In advance, sorry for my not-so-perfect English, I'm Austrian ^^

Since a few weeks ago, I'm having a very weird issue when connecting to my web server via FTP.

When changing to a directory with a long file list or when I try to download files bigger than ca. 1 KB, my FTP client is unable to retrieve any data. Usually the client then aborts after a minute because of a timeout.
    But, this only happens when downloading bigger files. There are absolutely no problems with uploading big files.

The weird part is, this only occurs when connecting over my home internet connection. I've tested this with both of my computers and with multiple FTP clients, so I'm sure it's a problem with my internet connection here. There are no problems like that when I'm using my notebook at work.

Now, I have absolutely no clue why this occurs. I've been at the same ISP for over three years now and never had any problems like this. I neither changed any settings of my router.

I'm thankful for any suggestions that might help me to solve this problem ^^
  3. They're coming to take me away

Originally Posted by Jeythor
    In advance, sorry for my not-so-perfect English, I'm Austrian ^^

Since a few weeks ago, I'm having a very weird issue when connecting to my web server via FTP.

When changing to a directory with a long file list or when I try to download files bigger than ca. 1 KB, my FTP client is unable to retrieve any data. Usually the client then aborts after a minute because of a timeout.
    But, this only happens when downloading bigger files. There are absolutely no problems with uploading big files.

The weird part is, this only occurs when connecting over my home internet connection. I've tested this with both of my computers and with multiple FTP clients, so I'm sure it's a problem with my internet connection here. There are no problems like that when I'm using my notebook at work.

Now, I have absolutely no clue why this occurs. I've been at the same ISP for over three years now and never had any problems like this. I neither changed any settings of my router.

I'm thankful for any suggestions that might help me to solve this problem ^^
    Since you've tried multiple computers and clients, this may be more of a networking question. (Have you also tried multiple servers?)

I'll move this over to the Networking forum (but leave a link in the FTP forum)
    "I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer. I have lots of lives!"

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo