1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to get qos working?

I have a big problem with my xbox's connection, its nearly always laggy. I have added a nat exception to its static ip, which got rid of the 'strict nat', and i have tried setting up a quality of service for it to but it hasnt worked. Ive only got two fields to enter ports for 'start port' and end port, so ive put them at 1 and 9999, and still it doesnt seem to be having any effect. im not sure how to screenshot my router page in firefox4.. so i hope you know what im getting at.

ive basically tried everything i could think of... so any help at all.. much appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture

Hi,

qos is likely only going to help if you have congestion on your internet connection with other hosts on your network (ie other users in your household).

If this is the case perhaps you could indicate the make and model of your router, so I can check out what features might work best for you.
  5. No Profile Picture

ya theres 4 laptops in my house, so always at least one of them on it with me.. i have a netopia 3347 nwg
  7. No Profile Picture

So looking at the reference manual available from the Netopia website. On page 89 and 90 it describes QoS configuration. Try and create an Outbound flow entry for your XBOX LAN IP for both UDP and TCP all ports (0 - 65535). You could set a Low-High Priority Ratio to 100 and see if that helps. Good luck!
  9. No Profile Picture

ok ive done that and it still isint working.
    I have a manual ip set up and thats correct, maybe i have the wrong info in subnet mask or gateway on my xbox settings?
    ive put the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0 and for the gateway im using the lan ip adress. ive also put the dns servers down as the ones seen on the router config page.

On the comp now, ive got everything set up as youve said, i had to create to custom flow entries to account for both tcp and udp traffic, and ive put them both on assure. I have no idea what tp do now cause it doesnt seem to have any effect at all.. do you?
    I'll look up the manual anyway in the hope ill find something
  11. No Profile Picture

Hey Maxitwist,

Here are a few things I'd look at.

*If you plug the Ethernet connection from your Xbox into one of your laptops and ping a site like say, Google, are you getting really high delay in the response time? (Make sure you disable the wireless connection when you plug directly in.)

*Try browsing the internet on the same Ethernet cable from that Xbox with your laptop and see if you're seeing lots of delay/slowness.

*I'm not sure why you'd set the Xbox up with a static IP but if you do, assuming you're on a Class C 192 network, the subnet is 255.255.255.0, Your default gateway is your routers IP, typically 192.168.x.1, and you can set the DNS as your router's address as well. I'd set the IP of the Xbox higher as well to make sure that DHCP doesn't give out that address to another device. If you're unsure of your Default Gateway IP or DNS, on your computer from the command prompt type ipconfig /all and you'll be able to see this info.

Hope that helps!
  13. No Profile Picture

i read ststic ip should make it more stable.. hasnt.. dont have an ethernet cable.. im dommed arent i?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo