1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question 2 Routers 1 Modem (new twist - honest!)

I must have looked through a hundred 2 router / 1 modem posts (or at least it feels that way!), but can't match the answers to what I'm trying to do!

Can anyone either answer, or point me to an answer for the following please.

I would like to have 2 wireless networks running, but both connected to my single broadband cable modem

Network 1: Used by the kids - My netgear wireless router allows me to set time restrictions, I can point it towards OpenDNS servers to restrict the nasties out there!

Network 2: I have a second netgear wireless router which I would like to have standard settings on - ISP DNS server, no time restrictions etc.

Is there a way to do this? I've tinkered for a few hours with various configurations, but have not managed to find one that works!

Thanks in advance
    Matt
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What are the model numbers for the modem and routers?

Separately, I assume you want computers on both networks to be able to communicate?
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi
    The routers are both netgear wgr614v9. If the computers can communicate and use a single wifi printer I have that would be a huge bonus but I hadn't expected fir that to be possible.
  7. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

First, this will be helpful WGR614v9 Reference Manual.

So I was looking at the configurations for that and have a few small ideas. First, I noticed that it looks like you can give a "bypass address" so if you have just your computer you want to give full access to you can do that. However....it looks like only one address can go in. So if you have multiple computers you want full access it looks like it might not work.

My next thought is to have multiple SSID's, but it doesn't look like this will handle that feature on a single device. You could always give it a second SSID and interconnect the two routers making one a "kids" router, and the other the "adult" and white list only the appropriate machines on each.

I'll keep thinking about it, but leave with that for now.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

Hi Adam

Thanks for the response. I had a look at the bypass and it's only for sites that you block on the router; what I'm trying to do is find a configuration that will allow one router to use OpenDNS and another to use the standard ISP DNS, but for both of them to use the same modem

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Matt
  11. No Profile Picture

Just a thought; if it's not possible to connect 2 routers to use a single modem, then is it possible to configure each of the computers on the network to specify their own dns servers? Ie can I get the kids computer to use OpenDNS and leave others using the default ISP dns severs? At the moment it's my router that holds this configuration?

Thanks again
    Matt
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Set up one router for the Kids with open DNS and set your time restrictions by IP range that match the dhcp scope on the router.

Now manualy set an IP outside the DHCP scope for your adult computers and manualy set them to your ISP's DNS servers. Then they wont be affected by the time restrictions or by Open DNS
  15. No Profile Picture

Perfect! Works like a treat, thanks.

I do now have another problem... I had no idea that you could override the dns entries locally. Makes a complete joke of my attempt to stop the kids by having OpenDNS servers specified on the router!

Any bright ideas? Can you enforce policies on windows 7 home versions? I can't see anything obvious?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

The ability to change network settings is restricted to Admins. If your kids must be admins and you think they are savy enough to modify the DNS settings. You could do a couple of things.

1. Modify the firewall to allow only the Outbound core network (DNS) rule to Open DNS's IP's only. You would need to do this per computer.

2. Install a software based Internet monitor. I have used this free one from Microsoft.
    http://explore.live.com/windows-live-family-safety?os=other
  19. No Profile Picture

Talking

What a great forum!

Thanks guys, fantastic support.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo