1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ethernet connection running slower than wireless computers on same network?..

I am living in a house where I share a network with three other wireless users. I use a cat6 ethernet cable to connect to a Belkin f5d2833 wireless N router which is connected to a Dlink 526b modem.

The problem I am having is that I am consistently getting speeds of 3mbps while the others connected by wireless get 13mbps and up (Speedtest.net). I have checked my cable for faults by swapping it out but saw no difference. I have also updated networking drivers and again no difference. Checked to make sure it wasn't because of others downloading as well. I also tried connecting directly to the modem but that made no difference.

Note: Previously getting speeds of 12mbps up until a few days ago. However, preference seems to always be given to the wireless users.

I am really starting to run out of ideas, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If you were directly connected to the modem and still saw slower speeds then wired vs wireless has nothing to do with it, it's some issue with your machine.

If you want to partially rule out a software issue you could boot off a linux live CD and see whether the speed issue still exists. If it doesn't, then it's a software issue, if it does, then it's a hardware issue. Maybe your NIC is failing?
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You don't have some older 10mbps ethernet device on the cabled lan, do you? If so that can cause all the cable connections to operate at 10mbps.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo