1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Building a standalone IIS server

Hi, I would like to create a web server that will be the only machine one the "network" ... I need the sites to be accessible on web. Here is what I have: one machine with 2008 R2 64bit, Exchange 2007 or 2010, one public address. The computer will host several websites. The machine will sit behind a router and port 80/25/443 will be allowed access to the server from the outside. What roles will I need to have installed on the machine? Can it remain a work group computer or does it have to be promoted to a domain controller and have a .com domain assigned to it? So far it is a work group machine with the OS installed and it has IIS installed. Exchange will be need to be able to send and receive messages for the eventual sites. Any tips on the steps I need to take and the order they should happen would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

In short:

Should definitely NOT be a DC, standalone only. You don't want a domain controller to be in the DMZ.

It can be part of the domain, or can be completely standalone. I'd recommend putting it on the domain just so that you can manage it with internal resources and not need all new logins. It will also be easier to maintain exchange that way.

Accounts that are needed for/to users accessing the pages, however, should remain local on that box, not on AD.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo