1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New modem, Motorola SBG6580, lots of trouble.

Just upgraded my internet service to the next package, ok. We got rid of the old modem, and are now using this one which seems to double as a wireless and LAN router.

Now, the problem is, the LAN works fine and the wireless won't even turn on, as in the enable wireless option is literally grayed out. The GUI is horrible and unexplanatory, as is the user guide. After much experimentation, the only way I could get the Enable wireless option to be actually toggleable is to disable something called NAPT, which then allowed the wireless devices to see the access point, (configuring the access point isn't the problem, I've done it alot on Linksys routers but this Motorla interface is so mucf different) neither the wireless devices nor the wired devices can get internet anymore. On windows 7, the network icon displays "Unidentified Network" "No internet access" and uaing the little diagnose tool says Invalid IP Configuration, though the DHCP server and everything seems to be in order.

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

found info that says disabling NAPT on that sbg6580 makes it run in "bridged" mode which would allow you to use a third party router instead of the builtin router.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo