1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Ethernet port to wireless.

Hi,

I'm living in college accommodation and I only have an Ethernet socket in my room which I can use an RJ45 cable to connect to my computer.

However, I wanted to get a wireless connection as it would be handy for my phone (and it's allowed).

So I bought a wireless modem router combo.

I now realise that I should have bought a wireless router rather than a router modem combo as my router only has an ADSL line in.

Is it possible to somehow get a RJ45 cable to ADSL cable converter somehow? or is my router modem completely useless for what I'm trying to achieve?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Unless your device has a WAN ethernet port it's pretty much useless. It's not just a matter of physically converting the RJ45 port to an ADSL port; the device would need to be running different firmware in order to function purely as a router.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There are "wifi hotspot routers" designed for use in hotels, etc. Look for router products designed for the business road warrior. Maybe you can do a trade.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo