1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Printing from one domain to another help

http://i40. tinypic. com/24lrl1y.jpg

I had to space this out. due to rules of posting an url

I have created a picture for you to help you. They are color coded. Red (and gray) is going together, and Green is going together. I am trying to have a (green) computer print to a Red printer. and the other way around. But they are on different domains. any suggestions?

thanks

FYI green computers are xp
    red are windows 7
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The only prevention factor would be security. You can enable domain trusts between the two or you can have users with different accounts (I'd highly recommend the first.) The real question is why do you have two domains to begin with? It seems rather small to have a need for multiple domains.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

well i dont know that i need 2 domains, its just how it is set up. the router being 1 and the cable modem being another. i do not have enough ports in either of them to all be plugged into one. so they have to be split (or so i thought?)
  7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    The only prevention factor would be security.
    Security between the 2 or from the outside? also we do not store anything via a network or anything. What security could go wrong? or what could happen?
  9. Automagically Delicious

Ok, first of all you don't have two *domains* per se. You have two *subnets*. That a big difference. Domains are a construct within the Microsoft Active Directory system -OR- part of an Internet naming schema. (DNS = Domain Naming Service)

You have two networking subnets; a 192.168.1.0/24 and a 10.1.10.1/? subnet. Without changing IP's, the answer is routing. You will need to establish some routing between your Cisco router and the Comcast Modem (which has a routing mechanism within it. RIP would be sufficient for you, but I'm guessing I just went over your head.

Your easiest solution would be to buy a switch (small unmanaged 8-port switches aren't expensive) and connect everything in the 192.168.1.1/24 network. Connections would go like this:

Modem -> Cisco Router -> Switch

You can plug things into the switch and/or the router. But the only thing that should be plugged into the modem is the Cisco Router. Now everything's on a single subnet and you don't have to worry about a thing.
    Adam TT
  11. No Profile Picture

Ok, first of all you don't have two *domains* per se. You have two *subnets*. That a big difference.
    Sorry im noob when it comes to networking.

You have two networking subnets; a 192.168.1.0/24 and a 10.1.10.1/? subnet. Without changing IP's, the answer is routing. You will need to establish some routing between your Cisco router and the Comcast Modem (which has a routing mechanism within it. RIP would be sufficient for you, but I'm guessing I just went over your head.
    YUP! WAY WAY OVER MY HEAD, EVEN TRIED TO LOOK INTO THIS.....AND QUICKLY CHANGED MY MIND

Your easiest solution would be to buy a switch (small unmanaged 8-port switches aren't expensive) and connect everything in the 192.168.1.1/24 network. Connections would go like this:

You can plug things into the switch and/or the router. But the only thing that should be plugged into the modem is the Cisco Router. Now everything's on a single subnet and you don't have to worry about a thing.
    Again I am a noob when it comes to networking. So would a D-Link DES-1026G suffice? (found it for $129.99) or should i go with something different.

Final Question.....

If the set up is

can the Cisco router still be able to print? (IE Wireless people)

Thanks for all of your help.

Comments on this post

• AdamPI agrees : Just for humbly asking for advice and taking it in appropriately.
  13. Automagically Delicious

Yes, they should be. Technically your setup will work, it just requires additional configuration, we're just trying to simplify everything into a single subnet. That said the D-Link would work fine. I don't know what other properties you need for a switch, but I'd say that for a simple unmanaged switch at $130 you'll get a reasonably quality product.

And no need to apologize, most people don't understand networking at all, which is why you came here. I wasn't trying to patronize you, just make sure you understood the difference between the two terms. (I'm teaching, not scolding.)
    Let us know the final result.

And if you learn a little bit more about it, you'll understand the joke in my "Location" information.
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo