1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

how to P2P 2 PCs which already have a domain and are connected to the net

Hi everyone, i hope someone is able to help me.

I have 2 computers which already have domains and are connected to the net thru a hub. However I require these 2 PCs to be connected to each other directly so that data transfer between them does not affect any other traffic thru the hub. Each PC has 2 NICs and one is running on WIN NT, the other on WIN XP. I tried playing around with TCPIP settings, giving each PC a static IP on the Network Card that they are going to be linked together but i could not see each PCs shared folders.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

And how are you going to tell a file transfer which nic or which route [you'll have two] to send on? You might be able to weight one route with uping its metric value but that's no sure thing.

I would suggest you get another hub and chain it off the main hub. Put these two workstations on it and you are done.
  5. No Profile Picture

I think (that being the operative word) that you can use a cross-over cable between the two machines and connect them via their NIC #2. Then you have to make a static routing rule for all traffic to that computer to use your NIC #2. Hope that makes sense.
  7. No Profile Picture

thanks guys. i understand that i need to install NETBEUI on both PCs as well right?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Sharing files only needs one protocol. If you are running tcp/ip then that is all you need.

No issue creating two links from/to each computer. Yes you can do a crossover between two nics and patch cords to a hub in common with the domain server.

The issue is how do you tell a file transfer to use one route and not the other? If you configure your routing to only use the crossover you have excluded geting to the server. If you have both you have NO CONTROL over which route the file xfer is going to use. After all if both nic cards are active how do you tell a system which to use for which process only?

This is the wrong path to reach the goal of isolating your pc to pc file transfer traffic from the main net.

You need physical segregation as I suggested before.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo