1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FTP Server on Class A IP, Client on Class C IP. What to do?

Hello.

In a rather complicated LAN, with multiple IP classes, there is a FTP server on a 10.4.2.xxx adress, that I need to access from a computer with a 192.168.1.xxx adress.

Is there anything I can do?
    While changing the IPs of the machines is not possible, I have access to pretty much anything else (admin accounts, server administration, etc).

Thank you for your time.
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

First, both the 10.x.x.x and the 192.168.x.x are considered "Private non-routable" IP ranges. This just means that they are not directly allowed to be routed through the larger Internet.

Second, there's your clue right there. Routing. You need a router to route between the two networks.

Third, and this is just a point of protocol, there really isn't such a thing as "IP Classes" any more. CIDR has been around since the mid- to late- 90's and any equipment that does not support it is beyond legacy.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

D'OH!

My brain isn't working today.
    -Router, plugged into the 10.4.2.xxx network, with a proper IP set on the WAN port
    -The 192.168.1.xxx class set up on the LAN part of the router, and my 192.168.1.xxx switch plugged into one of the LAN ports of said router.

Presto magnifico, all done in less than 5 minutes.

Thank you

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo