1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

3G usb stick sharing over LAN card and router

has anyone done this?

it was working fine at first for me, but then some virus took over and now i cant get the kaspersky live cd to connect to the interwebs...

dunno if i even got dhcp working previously, but now it works perfectly, with an exception that it does not ping the internets :x

i set all ip-s manually before and then it worked fine as long as i entered the dns server as the lan card ip, but now it just does not want to ping the web even if it now gets the right dns server from the lan card dhcp setting... (there's some options in the place where you enable the sharing - to enable dhcp etc..).

so my lan card is 192.168.0.1 ... router/switch is 192.168.0.254 and the rest is dhcp... dhcp turned off on the router, although even that allows to set custom dns and gateway... which also wont give any internets...

i can ping all lan ips... but maybe the routing table on the router is wrong somehow? there's somekind of weird ip set to be the default gateway(on interface ppp0) and its also listed in the routing table, but dunno if it's even relevant if i just use 2 of the switch ports... (192.168.0.0 ip is shown on interface br0 ...whatever these names mean? (next hop is 0.0.0.0?)

router is zte ar550 and i've not connected it to any cdma service...
  3. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

So you're saying the CDMA router/modem you have is not supposed to be the source of the Internet connection? That comes from somewhere else?
  5. No Profile Picture

yes. 3g usb stick is connected to one of the pc-s and that connection is shared through lan card and a 4-port switch onto the router (which also has wifi). so i could be able to connect 2 other devices into the switch and more over wifi...

but dunno how the system doesnt work -.- seems also that the routers internal ping tool doesnt give any results...
    maybe theres some trick to make it work all the time?
  7. Did you steal it?
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Have you set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the PC?
  9. No Profile Picture

yes, thats how you share it...
    i also tried another router and a regular switch and still nothing?:/
    should i try to enter gateway and dns to the lan card? its empty atm...

linux shows default gateway as "mshome.net" when ics lan card is set to dhcp?
  11. No Profile Picture

k... i think it might have been somekind of bug or comodo 'network detection' issue because lan card didnt even want to work with another networks dhcp settings... now all fine...
  13. No Profile Picture

i think my problem was that my router was in 192.168.0.0 subnet, but the ics wont work with that because the network card is in the same subnet... everything worked fine when i set the router ip to 192.168.1.x (setting other ip than ...0.1 to nic wont also work)

wonder if these options make any difference to connectivity?
  15. No Profile Picture

i think this thing works by somekind of magic...
    fortunately the new router worked, but now i cant get netgear dg834g to work at all(which actually created my initial problem and this thread)...
    when i tried it now, it didnt ping the nic, but when i added a static route, it started to ping the nic, but not the internet...
    even if i set the netgear ip to the same ip as the new router, the netgear still displays a different routing table(doesnt change at all basically) compared to the new one...

altho.. the new router does have a separate wan port, the netgear does not. although i have used ics with this netgear before
  17. No Profile Picture

actually... the netgear might have not worked at all. i had a 3rd one that i had forgotten about... i tihnk i used that recently.
    perhaps someone knows how to configure the routing table on the netgear?
  19. No Profile Picture

... netgear doesnt seem to allow to change dhcp gateway, which it leaves as its own ip and not the network card on the pc... dns server also has to be the nic's ip...
    perhaps i later try to turn off dhcp on the netgear and enter it manually... although it might have a wrong routing table anyway, so it wont matter what i enter on my client pc...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo