1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

WinXP latop networking to 2k desktop

A little bit of my difficulty comes from the fact that both operating systems are the Japanese version and Japanese is not my first language. I did manage to get to a point in the setup on the XP machine where I believe it is telling me I need to run a setup program on the 2000 machine. I put a floppy in the XP machine and it copied a file called netsetup to the floppy which I then walked over to the 2k machine and when I tried to run it I couldn't because I got a message saying it wasn't a 32 bit application. The installation stops there. I guess I need to find a 32 bit version of this netsetup to complete the setup, and once I do that then I can find out if the network works or not.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Putting some arbitrary setup program on a disk and running it on a 2nd machine without knowing exactly why is a recipe for problems.

There is no setup program you need to run in either XP or W2K to enable networking, with the possible exception of a 3rd party network driver specific to the hardware.

What are you trying to accomplish, and how do you have the machines connected?
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

The 2k desktop was originally networked to another 2k desktop via the modem and router supplied by our high speed internet/phone company. One desktop broke and we replaced it with a used XP laptop (I have no install CDs for any of the software or the operating system on the XP). When I got the laptop my first concern was the internet so I plugged in the network/internet cable and it connected up to the net just fine. So the other day I decided to try to see if it would connect to the remaining 2k desktop (we only have 1 printer and it is connected to the desktop and I want both computers to be able to use it). I went to my computer and then to my network there was nothing there but a bunch of options on the left in Japanese. I clicked on the option to display workgroup computers and it comes with a message, something about it can't find a server, can't access the server, there is no server (not sure of the exact translation). So then I clicked on the icon that looks like a house with a network cable, it has the words home and setup in it so I figured I should try that, and then the network setup wizard starts and I hit next and get 3 options, the first is something about the internet, the second is something about a home gateway or something, and the third is "other". I had tried the second one and it asks for (I believe) a computer description and computer name, so I put those in and hit next, then it asks for a workgroup name so I put in WORKGROUP (the same as on the 2k desktop), then I select that I do want to share files and printers and hit next, then a display showing what I had named everything, so I hit next again and it has a progress bar then goes to where it tells me something about running a network setup wizard on the other computer is needed and gives me an option for making the setup disk, using the XP CD, not exactly sure what one other option is, and the last option is that the setup isn't needed (which is what I tried the first time), didn't see the other computer so I went through everything again and tried the way of making the disk, which I couldn't try to install on the other computer because it wasn't 32 bit. I'm thinking maybe I should just give up and try to get an English version of the XP operating system install disk.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

First, making a network setup disk from the XP network setup wizard is not something I do, I just set up network settings myself on other machines.

Are the two machines connected to a network switch? The two computers need to be on the same LAN segment/subnet for starters.

To get the two machines to share resources on the same LAN here are some basic steps you can follow.

- make sure the computers are on the same IP subnet.
    - Make sure both machines are in the same windows workgroup with different computer names.
    - Enable file & printer sharing in the firewalls of both machines.
    - Check that you can ping both ways (from a command prompt ipconfig will show you the computer IP address and then you can issue 'ping <the other IP.' and you should get replies.
    - Also from a command prompt issue 'net view' and/or from windows explorer Network see if resources on the other machine are visible.
    - You need to enable sharing on files/folders/printers you want to use from the other machine. In most cases from within windows explorer right-click on the resource and choose the 'sharing' choice.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

Up until net view is ok. The ping worked fine. When I try net view I get "システム エラー 6118 が発生しました。 このワークグループのサーバー一覧を現在、利用できません。" Which says system error 6118. The server on this workgroup cannot be used. When I go into my network on the 2k machine and click on the icon to display computers in the workgroup (I forget what the icon says in English) it sees itself and the printer and files it is sharing.
    When I look at the ipconfig on the 2k machine it just has a simple short list for the ethernet adapter local area, on the XP machine it has that plus some other stuff:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:a483:6adb:0:34be:b978:ab63:b6

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:a483:6adb:0:20e:7bff:fec6:294
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20e:7bff:fec6:294%4
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    fe80::226:92ff:fed7:c676%4

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.4%2
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

This is the first time I am using XP so I don't know if that is standard for XP or if it is because some other stuff is installed on the machine. As I said before it is a used machine that was already set up and I don't have any install CDs. There are a few programs on here that I don't know what they do. I am wondering if it might be an idea to just uninstall all the network stuff, remove the network adapter from device manager and then let it auto detect on reboot and install the network myself from scratch with all the default settings.

I looked up the error 6118 and saw a lot of stuff about a firewall causing the error. I had disabled the firewall completely (or so I hope) a while back because all the Japanese messages about stuff were annoying.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

It does look like a language problem. You can net view \\<ipaddress> to see if share names are readable without involving the computer name.

I don't do anything multi-lingual maybe someone that's done sharing between machines with different language settings will see this thread and jump in.

It doesn't look like a network connectivity issue to me.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

I'll try that and a few more things. Both machines are on Japanese operating systems, so there should not be problem that way.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Good luck with this, I don't have any more ideas. Double-check that you don't have 2 different firewalls running, I once spent most of a day at a customer site trying to get a printer shared on their network. Turned out the computer with the printer attached had both the windows firewall and norton firewall running, and I only opened file & printer sharing in the windows firewall while the other firewall continued blocking the share.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo