1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Maddening IP problem

The problem

I have a set of 6 windows machines (BootCamp iMacs, specs below), all with identical hardware, all cloned from the same image, all trying to access a particular server on the same network. Two of the 6 cannot access the server in question:

* ping fails after the first reply
    * subsequent pings either fail 100%, or after 10 minutes (or a restart) repeat the previous. This is whether dns name or IP address is used, and adding the server to the local host file makes no difference
    * Tracert to the server times out (should be one hop)
    * Cannot browse to the server in Windows
    * The same applies whether the machine is booted into safe mode or as a Mac
    * The server can ping either workstation, and neither workstation has trouble accessing any other network resource.

Initially, one of the machines was able to access a share on the server, the other never was. I wiped the machine and re-imaged it to its original state, and the problem was there right out of the box.

I've done a side-by-side comparison of every hardware component, and they are identical. Likewise the network driver. Performed the following layer 1 troubleshooting:

* Changed the patch cables, Ethernet cards, and Ethernet cards (on the iMacs, used an Ethernet dongle) that both the workstations and the server use to connect to the network.

Workstation:
    iMac 2.50GHz Intel Core i5 2400S/4G Ram/500GB HD
    Win XP SP3 (BootCamp)
    Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet, driver v. 14.6.0.6

Server:
    HP Proliant DL-360 G6
    4 Quad Xeon X 5550 @ 2.67GHz
    Windows Server 2003 Standard x64 5.2.3790 SP1 Build 3790
    HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gb Ethernet Server Adapter
    Driver version 6.0.32.0

Any help would be appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You said they used the same image, are the computer names identical by chance; causing conflict there?
  5. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I'd be asking about what IP addresses and gateways are going on here. How are addresses handed out? Could there be a limit that your DHCP server hands out? Do you have other machines on the network?

So, there are a lot of questions, let's do this; Provide for me the following:

IP addresses
    Subnet mask
    gateway

do this for EVERY device on the network. Maybe log into the DHCP server (presumably the router) and get the listing of addresses handed out.

Also, I don't know much about the MAC bootcamp stuff, but would both the MAC OS and the Windows OS each boot? Could both be getting an address?
    Adam TT

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo