1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Interface in Networking

I want to know the interface in NetWorking. what will be the interface between the Network layer and Transport layer
    How the packet flowing from N/w layer to transport layer in Real time
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Layers 3 and 4? There is no physical interface. Unless that's not what you're talking about. It's hard to tell because you aren't very descriptive. Please elaborate.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture

Actually i am doing Networking project in that i have to create an interface between Network layer and transport layer can you explain about the Interfaces in OSI layers it may be Physical or logical
  7. Automagically Delicious

1) Physical
    2) Data link
    3) Network
    4) Transport
    5) Session
    6) Presentation
    7) Application

(Holy crap, I did actually do that from memory. I only normally deal with Layers 1-4 so I'm fuzzy on the other 3)

Examples from each:
    1) Ethernet, fiber, EMF waves (wireless), Hubs
    2) MAC Address, frames , switches
    3) IP address, packets, routers
    4) Port numbers, firewalls
    5) TCP/IP stream (A series of packets)
    6) Displayed information in a program (e.g. a new value in a stock price)
    7) The program that displays that stock price and other datas

That being said, the interface between layers 3 and 4 are logical. It would be like opening a port on a machine. For example, if you have a brand new server machine it has no open ports on it to receive data. (Outgoing data is a COMPLETELY different story.) Let's say you then decide to install a web server. This installation, by default, will create an opening on port 80 (and usually 443) to allow traffic to be received in on that port.

This might be what your project is about; creating some new port to be opened to receive data.
    Adam TT
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you now i understood about the interfaces can you please explain how the real time data transfer happened from network layer to transport layer.
  11. Automagically Delicious

No. I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying. Google "IP Packet Structure" to get a clear picture of how a packet is built; from there you'll see that the Transport layer is more or less a field within a packet. The receiving system is responsible for doing something with it or nothing if it so chooses. There is NO DATA PAYLOAD between these two layers.
    Adam TT
  13. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

The layered concept of networking was developed to accommodate changes in technology. Each layer of a specific network model may be responsible for a different function of the network. Each layer will pass information up and down to the next subsequent layer as data is processed.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Network Layer

Draw crude map. How to get from one host to another? If each link delivers reliably then is the whole route reliable--a router may fail, limited buffer space (may have to throw packets on the floor).

Data Link Layer--deals with machine-to-machine communication

Network Layer--lowest layer that deals with host-to-host communication, call this end-to-end communication.

Four issues:

interface between the host and the network (the network layer is typically the boundary between the host and subnet)
    routing
    congestion and deadlock
    internetworking (A path may traverse different network technologies(e.g., ethernet, point-to-point links, etc.)

Network Layer Interface

The network layer should shield the transport layer from having to know details of the underlying subnet (should not do anything different if sending across Ethernet or across the country on the Internet).

Should the host or the subnet be responsible for the delivery of all packets in order?

Datagram model: the host is responsible (datagrams are not guaranteed reliably delivered)

Virtual Circuit model: subnet is responsible. Connection-oriented.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

hi

Nice information! thanks for sharing.......

Originally Posted by laurenrodriguez
    Network Layer

Draw crude map. How to get from one host to another? If each link delivers reliably then is the whole route reliable--a router may fail, limited buffer space (may have to throw packets on the floor).

Data Link Layer--deals with machine-to-machine communication

Network Layer--lowest layer that deals with host-to-host communication, call this end-to-end communication.

Four issues:

interface between the host and the network (the network layer is typically the boundary between the host and subnet)
    routing
    congestion and deadlock
    internetworking (A path may traverse different network technologies(e.g., ethernet, point-to-point links, etc.)

Network Layer Interface

The network layer should shield the transport layer from having to know details of the underlying subnet (should not do anything different if sending across Ethernet or across the country on the Internet).

Should the host or the subnet be responsible for the delivery of all packets in order?

Datagram model: the host is responsible (datagrams are not guaranteed reliably delivered)

Virtual Circuit model: subnet is responsible. Connection-oriented.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo