1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Long distance sharing, help with wifi at my home

A quick summary: I currently share a cable internet connection with two other homes. My house sits on a hill, a friend's house is about 1/2 mile away in the valley with clear line of sight, and my parent's live atop another hill about 3/4 mile from the friend's home with a clear line of sight (however no line of sight between parents and my homes). The cable connection originates at my home, connecting to a dlink dir655. My pc connects to the dlink via ethernet cable. Another cable runs from this dlink router outside to a directional grid antenna aimed towards friends home in the valley. His home contains an antenna aimed back to my home, an antenna aimed over to my parent's home, and a dlink dir655 router. Finally, my parents home contains the same brand and model router, and an antenna aimed towards the friend's home. Everything works great at both of their homes, both wirelessly and wired. The problem is at my home I am unable to connect wirelessly. My pc, which is wired to the router, works fine. When I turn on wifi on my Ipod touch, it detects two signals, UBNT (which is the signal going to friend's home from outside antenna) and Dlink. When I click on the Dlink connection, it takes a long time but finally looks like it's connected. However when I open Safari or Itunes store, it will say it is unable to connect to the internet. Can I use the dlink router for wifi in my home? I don't want to mess anything up, as the other two homes have no problems. The guy who set it all up mentioned he might not be able to set up wifi for my home but said he would try to set it up "on the backside", whatever that meant. Would it be easier to add another wireless router at my home for wifi? (I have a netgear router I removed from parents home I could use) Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You said it works if you're wired into the D-Link correct? When you connect via wireless, what's the signal strength look like, what IP address are you getting when you can't surf the internet?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

if im understanding correctly, you have ethernet at your house, and a wireless router?

Put the dlink wireless router into bridged mode and use it as an access point?

also, cant you just connect to the wifi broadcasting to your friends?

When I click on the Dlink connection, it takes a long time but finally looks like it's connected. However when I open Safari or Itunes store, it will say it is unable to connect to the internet
    This sounds DHCP related...what is the gateway DNS servers you have?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo