1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Understanding and purchasing first SSL certificate

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing a SSL certificate, for my website, mailserver and to familiarise myself with using and deploying SSL

I have a fee questions

- i have found a company offering SSL certificates for just $5/yr. whats the benefits/downfall of getting a cheap certificate. Obviously using mainly for myself and learning i dont want spend 200+

- Can i use a single SSL certificate for Mail, HTTP etc, or are these all specific to the service i want to apply ssl?

Thanks guys!!
  3. No Profile Picture

If you are just learning, I would suggest you 'self sign' a certificate. This will cost you nothing and if it is only you that will use the services, you will just need to click the 'i trust this site' page.

The only reason I would buy a cert is if I have the general public coming to my site. How it works is that all the major cert makers pay to get their certificates added to the major browsers. This way when you go to google, the your browser already has a cert and it knows that it is trusted. If you sign your own cert, you wont be there, but it doesn't deminish the security.

I don't see why you couldn't use the same cert, but I am a bit confused on the number of certs that are out there. There is a HUGE variety of things you can buy and I find the companies don't make it very easy to find out what you need.

Doogie
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks i now have a cert. i purchased one online. I figured id get a cheap one as i have a site for testing aswell. If you check should forward you to SSL

Http://megahosting.co.nz

I am just trying to configure the same cert to use for my mail client, which is hmailserver. I was the allow secure connections on ports 995, 687 etc

This is proving the hardest
  7. Wiser? Not exactly.
    Devshed God 1st Plane (5500 - 5999 posts)

You can also get a free basic certificate from http://www.startssl.com/. I picked up a couple certificates from them for my site and svn servers and they have been working well. Their root certificate is included in modern browsers so you do not get a warning like you would with a self-signed certificate.
    Recycle your old CD's, don't just trash them

If I helped you out, show some love with some reputation, or tip with Bitcoins to 1N645HfYf63UbcvxajLKiSKpYHAq2Zxud
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Get the ssl certificate that suits your E-Commerce or internet business with strong encryption as well as the cheapest one , one of the best Certificate Authority I have tried is Comodo SSL Certificate which gives all guide and support for installing the best ssl certificate.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Understanding when purchasing first SSL Certificate.

Domain Validation ssl & business validation ssl that can secure only single domain.

wildcard ssl can secure your main domain plus unlimited number of subdomains.

multi domain ssl can secure primary domain plus multiple additional domain and subdomains.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for this, but is there much difference in pricing?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by onlinegamesnz
    Thanks for this, but is there much difference in pricing?
    Domain validation starting with $8
    Wildcard SSL starting with $79
    ev ssl starting with $125
    multi domain starting with $129

This pricing is belong to sslmatrix, known as leading ssl provider

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo