1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Internet not functioning properly

For the past 3 weeks, since the heat wave began in PA, the internet in my house seems to be cutting in and out. I will be on the internet and then pages will just stop loading. I would need to hold F5 to refresh the page and hope for it to load completely. It might work 1/10 times.

I usually need to run down to the modem and router to manually restart them both.

Iv tried "ipconfig/release" and "renew", but that doesnt seem to work.
    We have called the internet provider and they say everything is communicating fine.

What could be going on or what can do I do to fix this problem?

another issue I had, it may be related or it may not be..

Last weekend I could not get an internet connection in my room. I have the wireless router hooked up in my room. It connects to another router, which connects to the modem (via wire). After switching wires through the different ports, I was able to fix the issue. Im not certain, but it seems like one of the ports died on me.
  3. Banned (not really)
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Kinda vague here... could be anything from equipment failures to interference to routing changes in the "cloud"...

If you run a constant ping on your gateway (the wireless router) does that drop at the same time? At least start there and work your way up towards the ISP. Find out what exactly is "dropping" as it's not the Internet as a whole.
    -- Cigars, whiskey and wild, wild women. --
  5. No Profile Picture

i ran a ping on the wireless router, no packets were dropped. How do I find out the ip address to the wired router and modem?

Here is my network set up. The modem is connected to a router, which has 3 cat wires. 1 wire runs to a laptop in the room next door, 2 wires run to 2 bedroom a floor above. 1 to a desktop pc, another to the wireless router. Then i have the xbox360 and another desktop pc connected to the wireless router (via wire).

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    Kinda vague here... could be anything from equipment failures to interference to routing changes in the "cloud"...

If you run a constant ping on your gateway (the wireless router) does that drop at the same time? At least start there and work your way up towards the ISP. Find out what exactly is "dropping" as it's not the Internet as a whole.
  7. Banned (not really)

Originally Posted by sitruc
    which has 3 cat wires
    Try using dog wires. I've never trusted cats.

Were you running the ping at the same time as your web pages weren't loading?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Sepodati
    Were you running the ping at the same time as your web pages weren't loading?
    yes, id even ping the website and it wouldnt show any issues.
  11. Banned (not really)

Then I wouldn't worry about it. Just reload when you have to.
  13. No Profile Picture

having to restart the modem and/or router multiple times a day is more than a minor annoyance. Especially since I do take online courses where I must have an undisturbed connection while taking tests. It might not be something for you to worry about, but I am paying for a service (from the ISP) and feel as though I am not receiving what I am paying for. Whether it is on my end or the ISP's.

However, Thank you for your assistance.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Have you thoroughly checked your machines for malware?
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  17. No Profile Picture

yea, i ran malwarebytes and AVG Scan. both came up clean.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo