1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help Connecting Router to USB wireless adapter

Hi I\m new here, but I really need help.

I pay my neighbor per month for half the internet. The problem is, the wireless signal from his router isn't that strong. I was going to set up my router as a repeater but it does not have that feature and is not compatible with dd-wrt.

I have a computer with a USB wireless adapter that gets that signal pretty good in the corner of the house. I want to attach my router to that same computer and have it boost that signal around the house.

My router does have access point mode, and when I turn it on it asks for an IP address and a subnet mask.

So for example my neighbors router is 192.168.1.1, I'm giving my router 192.168.1.128.

Would I have to enable something called Bridge Mode in Windows?

I'm pretty familiar with networking and port forwarding, but don't really understand bridges.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The most reliable thing to do would be to get your own service, but then again, you already know that.

You can wirelessly "bridge" to wireless routers using WDS. They typically need to be the same brand/model or you get half baked reliability at best. If you two can swing it, buying an apple extreme and an apple express, then bridging them together would be your best bet.

Enhancing the current weak signal won't really solve your problem since you're just artificially making something bad appear good.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo