1. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Is A Switch = Router??

I'm reading this book and it's telling me a Switch IS the EXACT same thing as a router.

I disagree to a degree.

Whose right? hehe
  3. No Profile Picture
    The Dude Abides
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Nope, a switch is not a router. A switch is a hub with dedicated bandwidth per port. If the connecting device can take a 100mbs connection then that is how much bandwidth it gets on that port. A hub does not give dedicated bandwidth per port.

Having said all that, a switch can be a router, but extra things have to be built in. There are several routers that we sell that have built in 4-8 port switches. One of the ports on the back is a WAN port where your broadband connection is plugged in. The device then routes packets destined for the internet (and back) between the WAN port and the devices connected to the switched ports.

HTH
  5. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Exactly what I thought. Oh well. hehe
  7. No Profile Picture
    The Dude Abides

Something else I forgot, a switch can also act as a repeater and extend the range of a long ethernet line.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Perhaps it's time for a new book?
  11. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Probably LOL.

I just find it funny that these authors can actually get their books published.
  13. No Profile Picture

A router forwards packets based on a logical address (IP), which is at the internet layer. A switch forwards packets based on a physical address (MAC), which is at the network access layer. If you are going to compare a switch with anything, I suppose it could be compared to a bridge...or even considered as many bridges in one.

May I ask what book you are reading?
  15. No Profile Picture

In order to understand the fundamental differences between a Switch and a Router you need to understand the OSI model. A switch operates at the Datalink layer and a router operates at the network layer. A switch makes decisions based on a packets Destination MAC address (physical address), where as a Router makes a decision based on a packets destination IP address (logical address). I suggest you take that book your reading and throw it in the trash, the author seems to be one of those people who thinks that networking is a simple concept that you can learn in an hour. I suggest reading Network+ Guide to Networks, it's published by Thompson Learning, it's big and intimidating but after reading it you should have a good grasp on the fundamentals of networking.
  17. No Profile Picture
    The Dude Abides

Ahh, the good old 7 layers. I've tried long and hard to forget all that. It's hard enough to keep all the windows networking/patches/workaround goblygook in your head.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo