1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Laptop won't pick up DHCP?

Hello, I'm new to the Forums.

The laptop won't pick up a DHCP address but will pick up a ATAPI Address (the 169.254.x.x). I've tried the ipconfig /release, /renew, and it says this:

Code:
    ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration
    An error occurred while releasing interface Wireless Network Connection : The system cannot find the file specified.
    Please help.
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by WickedVein
    Hello, I'm new to the Forums.

The laptop won't pick up a DHCP address but will pick up a ATAPI Address (the 169.254.x.x). I've tried the ipconfig /release, /renew, and it says this:

Code:
    ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration
    An error occurred while releasing interface Wireless Network Connection : The system cannot find the file specified.
    Please help.

Fixed the issue myself. Turns out the DHCP Client, DNS Client, and one more service needed to be stopped, and restarted. Anyone might know why a system reboot wouldn't fix this even though they are set to :"Automatic"?
  5. No Profile Picture

Check for viruses, malware, etc.
  7. No Profile Picture

Fixed the issue myself. Turns out the DHCP Client, DNS Client, and one more service needed to be stopped, and restarted. Anyone might know why a system reboot wouldn't fix this even though they are set to :"Automatic"?

If your using windows vista, you should expect this sort of problem from time to time. If your using windows 7, like WickedVein said, it might be some malware.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo