1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help extending my home network

I need help to setup and extend my home network. Currently my network consists of a router and a wireless access point to extend the wifi signal. I am moving to a bigger house and after testing I found out that the best way is to set the router in the living room, the access point will go in the kitchen and I'll be adding a new access point in my bedroom.

The thing is I have a couple of devices in my bedroom that uses Ethernet connection and do not support wifi and since I don't want to have cables running from the router in the living room to my bedroom, I was looking for a way to lets say have an access point/Ethernet bridge setup in my bedroom.

My question is, is there a single device that can do the job where it extends the Wifi signal and also provide Ethernet ports or should I have a separate access point and a bridge? whats best way to achieve this?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Check out Powerline ethernet kits. Many MFGs make kits that extend your wifi signal and have a switch built in for additional ethernet ports.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    Check out Powerline ethernet kits. Many MFGs make kits that extend your wifi signal and have a switch built in for additional ethernet ports.
    can you point me to one, been looking around for sometime. The one's with Wifi comes with only 1 ethernet port, and the ones with 2 or more ethernet ports do not have wifi.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

If money isn't a huge concern, you could use the "powerline ethernet kit" method that seack79 mentioned and either:

1) buy yourself another wireless router and turn off dhcp and use it as an AP [using only the ethernet ports on it, not the wan/internet port] which will usually give you 3-4 ethernet ports to use for devices [depending on the unit].
    or,
    2)buy a network switch and an AP to connect to the powerline kit.

those are the suggestions I can think of right now.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    If money isn't a huge concern, you could use the "powerline ethernet kit" method that seack79 mentioned and either:

1) buy yourself another wireless router and turn off dhcp and use it as an AP [using only the ethernet ports on it, not the wan/internet port] which will usually give you 3-4 ethernet ports to use for devices [depending on the unit].
    or,
    2)buy a network switch and an AP to connect to the powerline kit.

those are the suggestions I can think of right now.
    Well, I was hoping to find this magical device that has everything in one container. Still hoping for someone to come and point me to one.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Here you go. Sorry, could only find kits with wifi and 1 Ethernet port built in. Simple fix though, just buy a cheap switch and plug it into the one Ethernet port on the wifi extender to give you additional ports.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    Here you go. Sorry, could only find kits with wifi and 1 Ethernet port built in. Simple fix though, just buy a cheap switch and plug it into the one Ethernet port on the wifi extender to give you additional ports.
    Thanks, I guess its the only option I have..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo