1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

2 seperate networks with seperate dhcp off of one modem

Ive read alot of posts relating to this subject, but they dont address exactly what I wasnt to do.

I have
    one internet modem
    2 routers - all hard wired not wireless

I want
    one router configured 192.18.1.1 and providing dhcp addresses as that ip/subnet 255.255.255.0

the other router configured 10.54.1.1 and providing dhcp address as that ip/subnet 255.255.255.224

So is it possible and do I connect this correctly? I was thinking to place a switch to connect the 3 all togother and then simply configure the 2 routers seperatly -

Any help appreciated!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Most residential connections and consumer modems only support a single IP address. If that is true in your case, then what you're describing would not work because both of your routers would need separate public IPs.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    Most residential connections and consumer modems only support a single IP address. If that is true in your case, then what you're describing would not work because both of your routers would need separate public IPs.
    where do you get the idea or where did I mention public ips? The ip's listed 192 & 10 are private ips and what Im trying to create is obiviously a private network. in fact 2 seperate private networks - each router can assign an ip range
  7. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

where do you get the idea or where did I mention public ips?
    Right here:
    I have
    one internet modem
    PHP FAQ

Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  9. No Profile Picture

Right here:
    ok - well tehn I dont understand much. my thinking went that the internet modem only provided a GATEWAY out to the internet. What went on behind the roouter (assigning custom ip addresses and such) was not a concern of the modem. So hence my thinking that I can can multiple private networks behind the routers. The modem dosnt agssign or care about teh type of ip addresses. The dhcp keeps things organized and finally tells all of them what gateway OUT to the internet.

So you can see Im limited in my knowledge - but you get teh idea of what Im trying to do...

I appreciate your interest!
  11. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

The modem is not aware of anything that goes on behind the routers; that's the function of the router. However, the setup you're describing has two routers connected to the same network as the modem. Even though the modem is not aware of anything behind the routers, it is still aware of both routers, and that's the problem.

A router has two IP addresses, one on either "side". On the private side, the router will determine its own IP address. On the public side, the router obtains its IP address from the modem. However, most consumer modems will only give out one IP address.

You could put one router behind the other router, or you could put a third router behind the modem and put both of your other routers behind that router.
    PHP FAQ

13. No Profile Picture

The modem is not aware of anything that goes on behind the routers; that's the function of the router. However, the setup you're describing has two routers connected to the same network as the modem. Even though the modem is not aware of anything behind the routers, it is still aware of both routers, and that's the problem.

A router has two IP addresses, one on either "side". On the private side, the router will determine its own IP address. On the public side, the router obtains its IP address from the modem. However, most consumer modems will only give out one IP address.

You could put one router behind the other router, or you could put a third router behind the modem and put both of your other routers behind that router.
    In that case, im guessing put one router behind the other. Can I get 2 diferent networks ie 192... and 10. -- the 10, being the new router put behind. Can you tell me how do do that. I know I can add another router inline to increse my ports but I want to add and manage another group of ip's ie 10.

Thanks
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just configure static routes between the networks. Set your WAN router with active PPP as the next hop route...DONE!???
  17. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code

As far as I know it should be possible to configure the routers with separate networks, however I've never configured a setup like that before.
    PHP FAQ

19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Games would be correct, you should be able to set static routes between the two.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo