1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DSL line questions

So this is a slightly odd one. But with DSL, what happens if i have 2 routers trying to train DSL at the same time? Which router will get DSL and which will not?? Is it a matter of which router is **stronger**

Also, how do i kill DSL on a standard analouge line? Will shorting the line do this? Or like a resistance of say 30K??

Thanks
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

A modem (DSL -or- cable) is somewhat of a router in itself; but not truly. A router is a device that routes between two networks. A MoDem (MOdulator-DEModulator) converts one signal type to another (DSL speak into packetized Ethernet signals).

The modem typically spits out a single IP address for the client to use. He would then be known to the whole world under that address. A router's job is to allow you to have a "private" network in your home and connect it to the "public" network given to it by the modem. So when a modem boots up and goes looking for a device to give it that IP address, whichever router answers first, wins. It won't necessarily have anything to do with "router strength" whatever that is.

How do you kill a DSL line? Why?
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by AdamPI
    A modem (DSL -or- cable) is somewhat of a router in itself; but not truly. A router is a device that routes between two networks. A MoDem (MOdulator-DEModulator) converts one signal type to another (DSL speak into packetized Ethernet signals).

The modem typically spits out a single IP address for the client to use. He would then be known to the whole world under that address. A router's job is to allow you to have a "private" network in your home and connect it to the "public" network given to it by the modem. So when a modem boots up and goes looking for a device to give it that IP address, whichever router answers first, wins. It won't necessarily have anything to do with "router strength" whatever that is.

How do you kill a DSL line? Why?
    Thanks but i dont think you understand me correctly.

I know how a router works. What i am saying is

If i plug in 2 DSL routers to a phone line with DSL, this will only support 1 DSL connection. Which router will get DSL and why will the other router not get DSL?

Thanks
    Last edited by onlinegamesnz; May 4th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

You can at any time only have 1 DSL modem.

When it sees two links it can either be neither of the two get a link or it could also be that it's just a matter of which responds first.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo