1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

VPN connection unable to access shares

I successfully connect to my company domain, as system admin, using Astaro SSL VPN Client from my XP computer (which is a member of the domain) but I can't see the network to access needed shares. I can remote desktop to the server which is doing the sharing. Why can't I see and access domain shares which I can access from inside the network?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

This sounds like a DNS issue. Can you ping the machine(s) hosting the mapped drives by their domain name (i.e., myserver.domain.local)? If not, go into your TCP/IP properties>Advanced>DNS>select the radio button for append these DNS suffixes in the following order and add your domain name to that list. You'll also want to make sure that when you're connected via VPN, you're using your site's DNS servers (the place you're connecting to) and not the local DNS servers of the place you're connecting from.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

What error message getting when you access the share folder?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Folks, apologies for the delayed response. I managed to get the user connected to their domain shares but only after 2 "fixes":

1: Connection to the network is via a VPN client specific to the Asraro firewall but I hadn't realised that each client was user-specific. Once I generated one for this user, it accepted their username & password and connected them to the domain but they still could not see the shares.

2: Elevated the user to Domain Administrator and they could then see and access the shares.

Step 2 was undesirable but was the only way I could see to solve the problem, at least for the short term.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Can other users on the VPN see the network shares? If its just that user, make sure he or she belongs to the necessary security groups. If only domain admins can access the share, that sounds like a permissions issue or ntfs security setting issue.
  11. No Profile Picture

It sounds like a sharing permissue, as only admins can access it now, I think when you add the user to the share it should be fixed.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo