1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help setting up VLANS

Hi guys,
    I really need help setting up some VLANS in a small office.
    We are getting a new VOIP system which requires a VLAN but we currently do not have any VLANS.

We are using a Linksys RV082 router and Cisco GS200-26 switches.

I am familiar with what VLANS do but never needed to set them up.

What i was thinking was setting up four.

* Production
    * Phone system
    * Management

Does this sound sensible?

Can anybody help with this it is driving me mad trying to do it on a test switch as i keep locking myself out or getting the configuration wrong.

Thanks guys!
  3. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tjay88
    Hi guys,
    I really need help setting up some VLANS in a small office.
    We are getting a new VOIP system which requires a VLAN but we currently do not have any VLANS.

We are using a Linksys RV082 router and Cisco GS200-26 switches.

I am familiar with what VLANS do but never needed to set them up.

What i was thinking was setting up four.

* Production
    * Phone system
    * Management

Does this sound sensible?

Can anybody help with this it is driving me mad trying to do it on a test switch as i keep locking myself out or getting the configuration wrong.

Thanks guys!
    Hey this definately sounds sensible. Im not sure what your asking though? how many users are you trying to support? By users i mean everything from computers, laptops, printers, faxs, phones, etc. And one more question what is your IP scheme?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The router you're using supports 8 VLANs (according to the manual). You'd tag each interface with the necessary VLAN ID on the router and make sure that interface is set in trunk mode. Then on the switches you'd set the port that is connected to the router into trunk mode, and the other ports used by clients into access mode.

I don't know if the router utilizes sub-interfaces (doubt it), so you'll probably have to use one physical interface on the router's LAN ports for each VLAN.
    Last edited by seack79; June 23rd, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture

Hi guys,
    I have found a guide on Small Net Builder and i have followed the guide but i cannot seem to get the internet on VLANS that the PVID is not set to Network.

I am supporting about 240 devices at the moment and soon i will be supporting 500 as we are putting in the new VOIP system.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by tjay88
    Hi guys,
    I have found a guide on Small Net Builder and i have followed the guide but i cannot seem to get the internet on VLANS that the PVID is not set to Network.

I am supporting about 240 devices at the moment and soon i will be supporting 500 as we are putting in the new VOIP system.
    Well, if your router allows for sub-interface, your going to do exactly what the other guy said but instead sub-interface the port for the seperate vlans if not do what he said. you also have to make sure you put in the routing statements. If your not able to get internet on the vlans start with layer one physical make sure all connections from each switch to router is connected shown by its green LED. from there make sure all physical connections have the right length... cat5 only goes 300m i dont know how big you office is so id check into this also. Then make sure all your subnetting is correct. one wrong subnet could throw off the entire network. Then check your configs. if you copy your configs i can over look them for you

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo