1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Network Wired Speed issue

I recently decided to make some changes to my currently wireless network. I have Cable internet, 50Mbps service.
    Currently:
    The cable Modem/wireless router combo from the cable company simply provides connectivity through it's ethernet switch (I run 1 network cable from it to my wireless router). I currently have a home server and HTPC plugged into my wireless router's LAN ports. The other PCs in the house run wireless.
    I have one device (desktop) on the far end of my house that get's poor connectivity to wireless. This device is what prompted me to start looking at some options. I am running an Ethernet cable from the router to the other end of the house to provide the best throughput possible for that device.

Now, since I have several different issues, I supposed it's best to post separately. I'll indicate the first Issue here:
    1) Home server gets poor throughput from WIRED NIC.
    Home server is windows Home server 2011, it has TWO Ethernet NICs. One is an Intel gigabit card, the other is onboard Realtek gigabit. - (router and cable companies modem/router support Gigabit).
    I'm getting a maximum 30 Mbps from this WIRED connection. I've tried BOTH NICs, I've swapped with known good cable. I've connected to both the Wireless router ports, and the Modem/router directly with SAME results.
    The "status" shows 1Gbit connection speed in all trials.

On the HTPC I have I get 50-60Mbps with it's RealTek Gigbit onboard NIC. ON my laptop connected via Wireless (130Mbps wireless connection speed) provides the full 50 Mbps.

I can't figure out what the issue could be.... Any ideas???

Thanks so much!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Try updating the drivers for the NICs on the server. This should be available from the MFGs website that made the server.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by seack79
    Try updating the drivers for the NICs on the server. This should be available from the MFGs website that made the server.
    Thanks Seack79,

I did try that, and the drivers are up to date. (I also went directly to Intel's site and verified.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Is the server near any sort of source for electromagnetic interference? You've tried swapping cables so it's not that, maybe something the cables are near. Admittedly this is a long shot; usually you'd have packet loss not just throughput loss.

That is a strange one. Just to recap, you've tried/verified:

1. Connecting straight into the modem.
    2. New cable(s)
    3. Different NICs
    4. Drivers are up-to-date
    5. EVERYTHING else wired or wireless works fine.
    6. Anything else?

Does the same thing happen in safe-mode w/networking (probably yes)?
  9. No Profile Picture

I haven't tried safe mode, ill give that a shot. The sever and the htpc are in the same location, and I can't see any cause of electromagnetic interference. It sure seemed strange to me as well!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo