1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Problems using usb wifi stick/router to broadcast signal

Hello, I realize this may be a silly/badly worded question and I apologize. I'm not exactly a computer expert. However, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm at my wits end. I'm trying to get xbox live in my dorm room, however the campus wifi requires entering credentials to access the network, and xbox won't let me open a browser, which I need to do to input my credentials, unless I'm already authenticated. I thought that I would be able to log into the network on my pc, and broadcast the signal to my xbox. I've tried for hours to do this to no avail, and have no idea how I would go about it. Is there anything you could suggest to do? I'm using a netgear n150 router and a netgear n900 wifi stick. Thank you so much for your time!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I take it your PC is hard wired to the router or are you using the wifi stick for your PC?

Easiest way would be to bridge the connections or use internet connection sharing depending on what OS you have.

That being said unknown the rules of your campus wireless but a lot of places will let you give certain information (mac address) of a device to allow it on knowing its for 1 user. However being the system is an xbox I'm not sure the networking team will do this.
    Jonathan VanSchaack
    Managing Director
    Remly Communications - Total Web Solutions
    Web Hosting, Dedicated Servers, Boston Colocation, Reseller Hosting, VDS/VPS, Web Design, and Full Server Management
  5. Contributing User

There is a way to do this. But, it is very complicated.

See this article:

how-to-play-xbox-live-on-a-college-campus/

and especially this comment:

"An alternate yet more advanced method (but it works for wireless) is to change the MAC address of your computer to match that of your xbox, authenticate, then match the xbox’s settings to your computers. Make sure your computer’s MAC is changed, then your xbox should work. To the network they should look like the same physical machine if they use MAC based authentication. "
  7. No Profile Picture

Okay, thanks so much for the reply guys I really appreciate the help. I tried following the instructions of the commentor as well as the original article. However, neither worked. While I was unable to match the MAC address of the computer to the xbox (I was restricted to changing the first octet to something that wouldn't match the xbox's MAC), I was able to change the xbox's MAC to match the computers. Even once I had done that and changed the ip, subnet, gateway, and dns on the xbox, I still couldn't connect. Any ideas why?
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by remcom
    I take it your PC is hard wired to the router or are you using the wifi stick for your PC?

Easiest way would be to bridge the connections or use internet connection sharing depending on what OS you have.

That being said unknown the rules of your campus wireless but a lot of places will let you give certain information (mac address) of a device to allow it on knowing its for 1 user. However being the system is an xbox I'm not sure the networking team will do this.
    The wifi stick is for my PC as there aren't ethernet ports in the dorms. I've tried bridging the connection to no avail as well as trying connection sharing.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo