1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cannot log into router acting as wireless access point

I have a Comcast gateway which is attached to an old wireless router that I want to replace with a new router. This is for a business, so I don't want to start yanking wires and resetting the router so i have a backup in case anything goes sideways. Here is my issue:

I can't get into the router to check the settings. 192.168.1.1 connects to the gateway, not the wireless router. I *can* get into the gateway, so I'm able to see all the settings, and that DHCP is handled through the gateway. I've run a port sniffer and tried to access every single ip address on the network to no avail. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I've been googling with no joy. Any ideas?
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Wait, so, the Comcast internet connection is to your router, which then connects to your "gateway", which then connects to your computer? That's backwards: it should be internet -> Comcast device -> router -> you.
    Code:
    Internet
       |
       V
     Modem  -->  Router  --> You
                 |    |
                 V    V
      Other devices   Other devices
    But whatever. The gateway device you see is connected to the router which means it knows the location of the router. Probably its gateway.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Wait, so, the Comcast internet connection is to your router, which then connects to your "gateway", which then connects to your computer? That's backwards: it should be internet -> Comcast device -> router -> you.
    Code:
    Internet
       |
       V
     Modem  -->  Router  --> You
                 |    |
                 V    V
      Other devices   Other devices
    But whatever. The gateway device you see is connected to the router which means it knows the location of the router. Probably its gateway.
    Sorry, I worded that poorly. Yes, the internet goes into the gateway device, then to the router (a LAN port), then out to other devices.

I looked through all of the settings in the gateway, and there are no statically assigned addresses, nothing in the DMZ, no gateway in the gateway. The only addresses i see are the DHCP range and the DNS settings.
  7. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Windows? Pull open a command prompt and run
    Code:
    tracert 192.168.1.1
    What do you get?

The first hop will be what your computer is connected to: the router. 192.168.1.1 will (probably) be the nearest DHCP server: apparently the modem.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Windows? Pull open a command prompt and run
    Code:
    tracert 192.168.1.1
    What do you get?

The first hop will be what your computer is connected to: the router. 192.168.1.1 will (probably) be the nearest DHCP server: apparently the modem.
    Mac. Ran a traceroute and got this:

traceroute to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
    1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 6.613 ms 4.097 ms 1.471 ms

For what it's worth, I ran a tracert on a windows box and got this:

Tracing route to 192.168.1.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 2 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1

Trace Complete.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by jaileer
    Sorry, I worded that poorly. Yes, the internet goes into the gateway device, then to the router (a LAN port), then out to other devices.
    Is there anything connected to the WAN/Internet port of the router?
    If not, then, the router isn't acting as a "router", but, only as a network switch and possibly wireless access point.
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    Is there anything connected to the WAN/Internet port of the router?
    If not, then, the router isn't acting as a "router", but, only as a network switch and possibly wireless access point.
    Nothing is connected to the Wan point, it is acting as a access point. But I need to get into it to check the settings to make sure that I don't miss anything when I'm setting up the new router as an Access point. Even if I wanted to do something like set up a guest network, how do I get into the router/access point to make the changes?
  15. No Profile Picture

Sorry I've been so unclear on this, perhaps I didn't have enough coffee yesterday!

I have a router setup as an Access Point. I need to make changes to the access point but I don't know the ip address to make the changes. If I do an ipconfig from a windows box the default gateway is 192.168.1.1 - but when I try to log in to that address it is *not* the address of the access point, but rather the ip address of the modem/gateway that I received from Comcast.

I'm trying to log into the access point, not the gateway. I've run a port sniffer on the network and manually entered every ip address into a browser window in an attempt to find the access point login, but was not successful.

Is there a better way to determine the access points ip address so that I can log in?
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

ok, most routers will have its MAC address written on the bottom of the unit.
    write the LAN MAC address down.

next, go to your pc and open a windows command window and use the ARP command "arp -a" (without the quotes).
    you should see a listing of IP addresses with their MAC addresses next to it.
    Look for the MAC of the Router and hopefully you will see it and its IP address.
    Use that IP address to access the router/AP.

Comments on this post

• jaileer agrees : this solved my problem!
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by DonR
    ok, most routers will have its MAC address written on the bottom of the unit.
    write the LAN MAC address down.

next, go to your pc and open a windows command window and use the ARP command "arp -a" (without the quotes).
    you should see a listing of IP addresses with their MAC addresses next to it.
    Look for the MAC of the Router and hopefully you will see it and its IP address.
    Use that IP address to access the router/AP.
    That's the ticket, thanks so much!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo