1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Router and Webserver problem

My current configuration is a cable modem attached to a Netgear RT114 router. It is set up to spoof the machine address of my desktop PC.
    The router is connected a Linksys Wireless gateway that I use for my laptop and my PC.

I am able to surf the internet fine and all that works. However, I just started a class in school that I need to have a web server set up on Windows XP Pro. I chose to use the IIS included in XP Pro because I need support for both Perl/CGI and ASP.

The problem is when I set up the router to forward port 80 requests and then use a dyndns.org host name it does not forward to the web server. Instead it is asking for the router username and password. Because the router spoofs this machine, am I going to be able to actually set up a web server on this desktop?
  3. No Profile Picture

Actually, I think I figured it out. Apparently the router does not handle within the network requests to the WAN assigned IP address and forward it. Instead the router is viewing that as a request for the router. I will have to have a friend test for me outside my LAN or use my old dial-up for testing.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

go to your host file and the following line...

your.internal.ip.address http://website.com

that should fix your problem...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo