1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FreeNAS in Xenserver routing nightmare

after 2 days of butchering my setup with my sub level skill set, I need some direction on how to get this madness to operate.

Before going any further, I realize the pitfalls of running FreeNAS as a VM, nothing mission critical here, just simple home media server and more importantly proof of concept, so I can have piece of mind finishing what I started.

My server has one physical NIC (i know...) that it, and all other VMs are sharing

I am running Xenserver(192.168.1.180 static) on a home network (192.168.1.0/24), with a router IP of 192.168.1.1. All VMs on Xenserver are static, and appear on my router dhcp client list, and function appropriately.

One of those VMs, FreeNAS(192.168.1.117) is running a Plex service (192.168.1.161) within it, it appears to be running as a VM in FreeNAS.

None of the PCs on the LAN, nor the router can see the Plex service (192.168.1.161).

I have played with bridging Plex IP to the Freenas IP, this allows PC's to ping Plex, however the Plex Webhost won't respond unless its launched within FreeNAS, directly typed in the browser won't resolve . Also bridging the Plex and FreeNAS IP, Plex still wont ping the gateway sucessfully.

I have tried adding an alias to the Freenas NIC, that mirrored the Plex IP, but I don't know what im doing , and playing with various sub masks, this didn't really do anything.

I feel I should create a separate lan segment for the virtual service IPs within FreeNAS, and than Bridge the two segments? will that allow unidirectional traffic? and if so, how/what subnetting to use?

LOL if this isn't complicated enough, I'm willing to provide a "famous" napkin map to illustrate the network nesting happening here if anyone cares enough to help me through this one.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I'm willing to provide a "famous" napkin map to illustrate the network nesting happening here if anyone cares enough to help me through this one.
    Please do
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

This almost sounds like some kind of strange Nat issue. Is it possible to run a network scanner, such as wireshark, to see if the right traffic is actually hitting the FreeNas?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Since its all on the same subnet, its layer 3 traffic right. Should he not be able to reach it with ICMP pinging it ?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo