1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Adding a central server

I would like to first apologize for possibly leaving out information. I work for a company that has a peer to peer network with very little to no automated backup solutions because our pix limits any large transfer of data. In addition we are hosting all of our website needs on a shared server with a hosting company. My question is how likely is it a central server would bog down our network. Our internet connection comes into an old pix nowhere near gigabit and from there the network is split between to unmanaged switches. My thought is if the server is behind the pix and connected to a switch it would have no effect on the network speed that is limited by the pix. Is this true or would the limitations of the pix limit the performance of the server while computing behind the firewall?
    All web performance for the new server would be for intranet purposes and not internet. I realize the pix would affect internet speeds.
  3. Backwards Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If the PIX is sitting between the switches and the internet then it will only rate-limit traffic that passes to or from the internet. Thus it won't have any affect on an intranet machine, such as your central server, and you can have your automated backups.

The internet connection may not be gigabit but you should make sure that your internal network is.
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Okay thank you. Both switches are connected to the PIX so that means currently I am limited by the PIX right? With a limited budget what device would I use to separate the switches from the PIX?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo