Thread: ICMP Broadcast

1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ICMP Broadcast

Hi

I am doing a research project [for self] where I am studying smurf attack. To start with, I am simply sending a broadcast packet from my internal network to my internal network and capturing the packets. It appears that the reply to broadcast packet is only coming from one of the HP printers, rest of my Windows, Linux machines are not sending any reply back to my icmp inquiry.

On one of my windows machines I am running Wireshark to see if the broadcast packet actually reaches the machine. It appears that the broadcast packet is reaching to networked machines but no reply is being sent.

I wonder if anyone else has looked into this and knows if the OS/Switches block those by default and how to enable those? I was able to find online a command for Cisco ASA's to disallow these packets but was not able to find information on why windows machine would reply to simple ping messages but not when the ping is sent to broadcast address - which has been verified that it is being received by destination.
    Last edited by Eal; December 8th, 2015 at 05:32 PM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo