Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 P67
    CPU: Intel Core i3 3240 3.40GHz
    Memory: G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600MHz RipjawsX
    Power: Corsair HX750i
    SATA Card: SYBA SI-PEX40071
    Storage: 30GB Kingston SSD (Boot Drive)
    10x 6TB WD Red (NASware 3.0) (No RAID)
    Case: Antec Nineteen Hundred

I own a small production company which have a total of 8 staff members. We are planning to move to a new office and I have been building a storage server for the team to store all project files. We handle uncompressed 4K video files so a 30 second clip is around 10GB. I want to upgrade to 10GbE networking on the server side and provide each client computer with the full 1GbE bandwidth. Is this possible without having to purchase 10GbE cards for all 8 client computers? Do you think 1GbE is enough for the client computers or should each computer be upgraded to 10GbE? What performance benefits would each machine receive in terms of read and writes from WD Red HDDs? The drives themselves have a sequential read speed of 173 MB/s and write speeds of 165 MB/s. Data will constantly be read from and written to the server drives and uncompressed 4k footage will be edited from them too by 5 people simultaneously. There is no processing work being involved using the servers, the server is purely for storage and the primary location to store the video files which we constantly edit at the same time.

I was thinking of purchasing the Intel X540-T2 NIC for the server. Do you think it's a good choice, it's really cheap on Generic Intel X540-T2, Intel X540 T2 10G Dual RJ45: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics.

I want to wire everything up with our existing Cat6A F/FTP cables. Also, is an i3 with 4GB DDR3 enough for what I am wanting to do with the server? Does memory speed matter much?
  3. Automagically Delicious
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You will need to get a switch that will accommodate. Also, for the 10 Gbps link you'll need to have Category 6A cabling unless it's a very short run (e.g. a patch cable).

Honestly, unless you have all solid-state drives, especially in the server, it's unlikely you'll see speeds really maxing out the 1 Gbps link. Most of the time the internal system busses, processors, and HDD/SSD are the liming factors, not the network.
    Adam TT
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I would upgrade the RAM total from the 4gb to at least 16gb, if not the max of 32gb..to help with network file caching; especially since you're dealing with 4k video files
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

I would assume in the almost 2 years since the original posting the problem was resolved
    The moon on the one hand, the dawn on the other:
    The moon is my sister, the dawn is my brother.
    The moon on my left and the dawn on my right.
    My brother, good morning: my sister, good night.
    -- Hilaire Belloc

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo