1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Secondary Router as VPN

I'm new to networking. I've never previously been interested as long as my devices connected to one another and were able to access the internet I was happy. But I've became interested in VPN's of late.

Ideally, I'd like to have my ISP provided router as is, with no VPN, and have a second router running a VPN so I can switch between WiFi networks at will.

I actually have a working setup like this, but I've used a cheap router to test whether it would work. I don't really understand how I've managed to set it up and I can't replicate the setup with a more powerful router.

I'm trying to achieve this with an Asus RT N66U running Asuswrt Merlin.

My VPN service is NordVPN. While they have user guides, the guide is only for setting up the OpenVPN client and doesn't cover setting the service up on a secondary router. I think I have the OpenVPN client set up correctly, but the setup between routers is guess work and trial and error.

Do I need to edit any settings on my primary router to achieve this?
    How should the secondary router be connected to the primary? Lan to Lan? Wan to Lan? Lan to wan?
    Does Asuswrt Merlin need to be access point mode, router mode, etc?

I know it's possible to set up rules for Asuswrt which will allow devices to bypass the VPN, but I much prefer the idea of being able to swap between networks as needed to maintain full download speed.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  3. No Profile Picture

I should add, the setup I currently have is running tomato shibby on the secondary router. I'm finding Asuswrt Merlin much harder to confugure
  5. Maddening Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by stevenatherton
    and have a second router running a VPN so I can switch between WiFi networks at will.
    That doesn't make sense: VPN has nothing to do with wifi.

VPN is for connecting to your network remotely, like from a coffee shop or when traveling. You'd do that so you can access other computers and services that are private to the network. Is that what you want to do? Or what are you trying to get out of this?
  7. No Profile Picture

I'm trying to use NordVPN on a second router to get around geo restricted content, but don't want all of my internet traffic going through the VPN
  9. Maddening Moderator

I'm sure you don't want to circumvent protections, right? That's against the rules, right? You shouldn't do that. Surely you have a different reason than that, right?
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    I'm sure you don't want to circumvent protections, right? That's against the rules, right? You shouldn't do that. Surely you have a different reason than that, right?
    I live in the UK, but have a second home in Portugal. I can't have deliveries, etc made to Portugal when I'm ordering in the UK for obvious reasons, but I'll often order things while in the UK so that when I arrive in Portugal they're there waiting for me.

Also, I have a Portuguese bank account. Sometimes it's better to book plane tickets etc as if I was in Portugal. Also, the VPN offers better security when banking online.

I have no intention to access services such as Netflix, which I understand block VPNs anyway.
  13. Maddening Moderator

Great, no problem then. See, if you had said "yeah, I want to watch Netflix for another country" then I would have to say "sorry, we can't help with that" and send you on your way. Glad that's not an issue.

VPN requires connecting to the device, so if your ISP modem stays there as the gateway device between your network and the internet then you'll need to set up some port forwarding on it to route whatever input ports the VPN thing uses (I forget which OpenVPN does) to the second router that's running the VPN service.

But I'm still confused. NordVPN looks like a paid service, as in you pay them to have VPN access through their system. Doesn't involve your network at all. If you want your network then that means installing a VPN service (like OpenVPN) on that router, but NordVPN isn't relevant to that as far as I can see.

So which are you going for? If you want your own VPN then how far have you gotten towards setting up VPN on the second router and adding it to your network?
  15. No Profile Picture

I'm trying to connect my second router to my ISPs modem/router combo and have the second router connect to one of NordVPNs servers in Portugal.

I'm not sure how to physically connect the second router to the ISP router. Do I connect wan to Lan, Lan to Lan, etc. How do I configure the ISP router and secondary router?

Thanks for your help
  17. Maddening Moderator

The router will be set up (unless you change it) such that its "WAN" is supposed to be used for an external network and the other "LAN" ports it has are all for the internal network. Since you're not connecting it to an external network, use just the LAN ports - they should all work the same way so you don't have to pick a particular one of them.

Then you should be set to follow the NordVPN installation procedure or whatever. They'll probably tell you about port forwarding if that turns out to be necessary.
  19. No Profile Picture

I've got that far. The second router is connected via Lan and I've configured the OpenVPN client on the second router as per the NordVPN guide, but it will not connect. I think there's some configuration needed with the secondary router but the NorsVPN guide doesn't go into anything further than setting up the OprnVPN client
  21. Maddening Moderator

How is it not connecting? Can't resolve a hostname? Connection timeout? Authentication error?

And what kind of router is it?

[edit] Try downloading the regular OpenVPN client and connecting yourself. Manually. Once you know that's working, then you can worry about why it's not working for the router.
    Last edited by requinix; October 21st, 2017 at 07:22 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo