1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Data migration from WORD to ORACLE

I have a long file in WORD as I try to load it in ORACLE quotes become periods, ex:
    insert into mytab values ('myname, 26);
    when i copy this and paste it in oRACLE (UNIX environment), it translates as
    insert into mytab values (.myname.,26)..does not recognize the quotes

I tried copying from word to notepad to ORACLE same problem..
    need help!!!!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I'm going to guess that the quotation marks in your word file are not actually quotation marks, but special directional quotation marks.

Do a find+replace on the character and replace it with a standard quotation mark. Since there are two different directional quotation marks (one for each side of a quote) you'll need to do this for both characters.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by E-Oreo
    I'm going to guess that the quotation marks in your word file are not actually quotation marks, but special directional quotation marks.

Do a find+replace on the character and replace it with a standard quotation mark. Since there are two different directional quotation marks (one for each side of a quote) you'll need to do this for both characters.
    ==
    Thanks, however

these are standard quotation marks from the keyboard. Also sorry foy my ignorance what is find+
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks, however

these are standard quotation marks from the keyboard. Also sorry foy my ignorance what is find+? How do you do find+?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

find+replace, "find and replace".

I'm really not sure then. I don't really do anything with Oracle. Perhaps you could save your word document as a text file instead and use a batch tool to load the whole file into the database? I know this is possible with most other databases.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  11. No Profile Picture

Find and replace ..ok not sure what I was thinking..
    Anyway i figured it out the long way, in notepad type a ' then copy and paste it in word file --copy it

in word data file find (original ' )and replace it with just copied ' in replace use paste from clipboard option. Make sure clipboard has nothing else besides the '
    otherwise it would paste all the junk that you may have in the clipboard..

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo